BM BACBrewing yield increase disc (new version) help needed

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:45 pm

I am going to be brewing tomorrow using the BACBrewing yield increase disc on my BM20 but the instructions are a pretty mangled translation from the original Italian.
It has changed a bit since the original version, it comes with a filter and spoke cover for the top (you use the original parts for the bottom of the malt pipe) and a spacer for between the spoke cover and the orginal Spiedel wing nut (no other parts are now supplied).
Anyone have a clue what they mean by 3 and 5?

thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Re: BM BACBrewing yield increase disc (new version) help needed

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:57 pm

Hi Craig
Forget about the vague instructions. Just go through your normal routine. Malt pipe followed by bottom filter holder and filter. Add malt then place filter on top otf malt pipe and then extender plate small piece of pipe section and then the wing nut. Hope that helps.
Regfards
Patch

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:37 pm

thepatchworkdoll wrote:Hi Craig
Forget about the vague instructions. Just go through your normal routine. Malt pipe followed by bottom filter holder and filter. Add malt then place filter on top otf malt pipe and then extender plate small piece of pipe section and then the wing nut. Hope that helps.
Regfards
Patch
Thanks for that.
From reading the website the top original filter holder and filter is no longer required with the new design (also why there is no longer any need for a hook), hence the confusion about those two points.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:54 pm

Looking at the original Italian has helped me understand what they mean...doh!
They want you to use the original piece of pipe used to secure the malt pipe with the wing nut, in order to mash in. You then carefully remove it and replace it with the yield disc, new piece of pipe (that holds vertically) and wing nut. Something totally unnecessary, even on Spiedel’s mashing in demonstration GIF it can be seen the malt pipe is not locked down until afterwards.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:03 pm

I was impressed with the yield increase disc. I bought the large hole sized one, along with a replacement filter for the bottom; it also ends up using less pieces than the stock setup and so less cleaning.
I hit my mash numbers bang on (slightly off on my boil off but that’s easy to adjust for next time).
It seems to make big beers or longer brew lengths much easier, shifts the drop off in efficiency to much bigger grain bills and is easier to clean than the stock gear.

thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:47 pm

Tickety Boo Craig
Regards
Pete

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:09 pm

Nice one. I have the old one but may splash out on this. Also good to know the filter size as I was unsure which one would be best.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:01 pm

Rhodesy wrote:Nice one. I have the old one but may splash out on this. Also good to know the filter size as I was unsure which one would be best.
The latest sizes lie either side of the standard filters, I have seen some people say that they had issues with the pump coping with the smaller version and bigger grain amounts so it ended up being a fairly easy choice and I am happy with the results so far.

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Post by wezzel01 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:50 pm

I was intending replacing my mesh filters with Bac Brewing ones as I’m fed up stabbing my fingers but might go for this instead. I guess it would prevent wort fountains too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:57 pm

wezzel01 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:50 pm
I was intending replacing my mesh filters with Bac Brewing ones as I’m fed up stabbing my fingers but might go for this instead. I guess it would prevent wort fountains too.

I'm quite happy to recommend a BacBrewing yield increase disc regardless, but I've found the best way to manage potential wort fountains (channelling), especially in small beers, which is the only time it's ever been a risk for me, is the new adjustable 'Xylem' pumps. No need to strip out the pipework either, as the new pumps are 100% comparable in that respect. Just a straight swap of the pumps if you want to. If you're opting for different brew lengths over a range of grists I'd definitely consider it. Note too the yield increase disc comes with optional filter gauges. I went for 'fine'. The only 'issue' is that the filter needs to be placed carefully as there's a little 'play'. A length of silicone edging trim around the top of the maltpipe does the 'trick' for me here.

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Post by wezzel01 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:10 pm

McMullan wrote:
wezzel01 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:50 pm

I'm quite happy to recommend a BacBrewing yield increase disc regardless, but I've found the best way to manage potential wort fountains (channelling), especially in small beers, which is the only time it's ever been a risk for me, is the new adjustable 'Xylem' pumps. No need to strip out the pipework either, as the new pumps are 100% comparable in that respect. Just a straight swap of the pumps if you want to. If you're opting for different brew lengths over a range of grists I'd definitely consider it. Note too the yield increase disc comes with optional filter gauges. I went for 'fine'. The only 'issue' is that the filter needs to be placed carefully as there's a little 'play'. A length of silicone edging trim around the top of the maltpipe does the 'trick' for me here.
Thanks, that’s interesting to know. If I dough in really well with lots of stirring and mash in at 40 degrees for a few minutes I don’t get wort fountains very often but it does happen. The problem is if I am out walking the dog when it starts and I get home to a wet floor (as it leaks out the lid).

One solution for me is to make a bigger batch so that the malt tube is completely submerged during mashing. I treat all my water, drain some off while doughing in, and then adding the water back in. It means that I get a few bottles in addition to a cornie.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:30 pm

McMullan wrote:I'm quite happy to recommend a BacBrewing yield increase disc regardless, but I've found the best way to manage potential wort fountains (channelling), especially in small beers, which is the only time it's ever been a risk for me, is the new adjustable 'Xylem' pumps. No need to strip out the pipework either, as the new pumps are 100% comparable in that respect. Just a straight swap of the pumps if you want to. If you're opting for different brew lengths over a range of grists I'd definitely consider it. Note too the yield increase disc comes with optional filter gauges. I went for 'fine'. The only 'issue' is that the filter needs to be placed carefully as there's a little 'play'. A length of silicone edging trim around the top of the maltpipe does the 'trick' for me here.
The filter and top plate that I have is about 3mm bigger diameter than the malt pipe, so is easily placed. I wonder if they increased the size due to feedback?

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:05 pm

Does the yield increase disc just let you mash more grain or does it improve efficiency or have any benefits with the usual 4 or 5kg of malt?
Richard M
Cardiff

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:19 am

richard080561 wrote:Does the yield increase disc just let you mash more grain or does it improve efficiency or have any benefits with the usual 4 or 5kg of malt?
It lets you mash more grain, at 4-5kg of grain it isn’t going to make a difference but if you are brewing bigger beers or longer brew lengths it is useful because efficiency tends to start dropping off the more malt being used.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:28 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:30 pm
The filter and top plate that I have is about 3mm bigger diameter than the malt pipe, so is easily placed. I wonder if they increased the size due to feedback?
You’re right, mate. The centre hole on mine, in the fine filter, is big enough to position it off centre. It was more to do with me plus I used both top and bottom BM filter plates for some reason. I probably didn’t screw down nut tight enough. Anyway, I’m running mine today with the yield increase disc. Only a half batch of Mild, to culture yeast for Friday’s big English IPA. I was going to do a full mash, ‘no sparge’, but decided not to bother. 15L very thin mash (35% inverted cane sugar in the boil later). Pump’s set very low, between 1 and 2. The yield increase disc is working very well. I might start using it for every brew from now on. See how it goes :D
IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG