Mash

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Swiller
Sober

Mash

Post by Swiller » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:58 pm

I have a Brewmonk all in one, has anyone tried a full volume mash brew?

MattGuk
Piss Artist

Re: Mash

Post by MattGuk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:05 am

I normally do full volume mashes on my brew monk, now and again I will sparge.
Just know that you would generally see less efficiency when doing full volume on it

MattGuk
Piss Artist

Post by MattGuk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:52 am

Couple of other things to note, when doing a full volume mash I have lately been mashing for 90-120 mins, stirring every 20 mins or so and also make sure to carry out a mash out.
I used to mash for the standard 60 mins and just let sit, however I had efficiency ranging anywhere from 55% up to 64%.
Lately I have been extending my mash time and stirring and my last 2 brew have been about 72%.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:44 pm

You might find it's not necessary to stir the mash, after mashing in thoroughly. Extending the time over an hour or so can increase mash efficiency, but agitating it is unlikely to achieve much worth the effort here. In some cases it can even be counter productive, in terms of suspending particles that physically block collisions between enzymes and sugar substrates to actually slow conversion rates. Ironically, you'll likely find you have to extend mash time if you're stirring post mash in. I'd be happy with 72%, tbh. I'd probably try to figure out ways of achieving it a bit sooner than 120min, though. If it fits into your schedule it's not a problem, of course.

I too find I get a drop in mash efficiency when doing full volume mashes. I just add 10-15% more base malt.

MattGuk
Piss Artist

Post by MattGuk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:29 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure stirring does really help but thought I would give it a go over the last 2 batches along with longer mash times, as I was isolating, time was never going to be an issue lol.
Takes a while to dial everything in properly with these systems I have found.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:16 am

McMullan wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:44 pm
You might find it's not necessary to stir the mash, after mashing in thoroughly. Extending the time over an hour or so can increase mash efficiency, but agitating it is unlikely to achieve much worth the effort here. In some cases it can even be counter productive, in terms of suspending particles that physically block collisions between enzymes and sugar substrates to actually slow conversion rates. Ironically, you'll likely find you have to extend mash time if you're stirring post mash in. I'd be happy with 72%, tbh. I'd probably try to figure out ways of achieving it a bit sooner than 120min, though. If it fits into your schedule it's not a problem, of course.

I too find I get a drop in mash efficiency when doing full volume mashes. I just add 10-15% more base malt.
I thought that you brewed on a BM
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:10 pm

IPA wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:16 am
McMullan wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:44 pm

I thought that you brewed on a BM
I do, but I don't think it matters. The mash is the mash. The BM's pump doesn't kick up much during mash recirculation. It does a good job evening out the temperature. I think that's about it, tbh.