Reducing trub from brew monk into FV

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
MattGuk
Piss Artist

Reducing trub from brew monk into FV

Post by MattGuk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:02 am

Hi all, does anybody else find that the trub and break material can be a real issue on these all in one systems?
I removed the bazooka filter that was fitted by the manufacturers as it blocks almost instantly when drain through it, plus i prefer to brew closer to floor level and use the pump to fill the fv and get more wort into it also.
Only problem is, i get A LOT of trub and the like transferring over.
I usually cool with an immersion chiller and whirlpool arm for a good 30 mins then leave for a good 20 mins to stand once cooled, but still end up pulling a lot of matter through toward the end.
I am thinking of using both screens in the mash to create a better filter as i notice that quite a bit of grain can pull through with just the bottom plate, so i am thinking of putting one plate on top of the other to create a finer filter, loosing the overflow pipe also.
The inly thing i can think that might be a negative is a stuck mash when using adjuncts and wheat, but would hopefully cause a slower sparge and hopefully gain a it more mash efficiency.
Once the mash is over and also the boil, im thinking of dropping one of the plates into the boiler to hopefully reduce trub then transferring over.
Anybody else done this is got any thoughts on this method?

rowyourboat
Steady Drinker

Re: Reducing trub from brew monk into FV

Post by rowyourboat » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:57 pm

I recently bought a Brew Monk Magnus and also immersion chill. I'm still getting to grips with it, but I noticed the same on the bazooka.

2 things to consider
1. Let it really settle as you have but then open the tap slowly when you start and as you gradually open it up I found it doesn't block. Maybe prevents rapid suction of break towards the filter.
2. More controversial and others may disagree, but just don't worry about it too much. Lots of discussions online about whether break in the FV makes any difference when brewing at the home brewers level.

You could try using a muslin or something to filter when you transfer to the FV. Would definitely catch grain/hop debris, not sure whether break would get through?

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:04 pm

Point 2 ^^

Do not worry about it.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:42 pm

There's a 'balance' in any system. As ever, there's not a 'one size fits all'. Thankfully, home brewing is more interesting than that. I use a BM and my set up and procedures get pretty 'bright' wort into my FVs. But at least a little break material is actually very beneficial, for the yeast therefore fermentation. The end product, that is. What I do is tilt my BM (my Braumeister!) to get at least some break material ('trub') into the FV. As an aside, it also increases brewhouse efficiency by occupying dead space in FVs :wink:

MattGuk
Piss Artist

Post by MattGuk » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:48 pm

So just an update, my last brew I decided against using one of the screen after the boil and whirlpooling and what not, still ended up with a fair amount of trub, however I recently bottled that batch and it tasted amazing.
Also managed to get 79% brewhouse efficiency this time which did make me smile.

MattGuk
Piss Artist

Post by MattGuk » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:51 pm

Forgot to mention, that was with a no sparge.
If I can now constitantly hit that efficiency, I will never sparge again lol.

rowyourboat
Steady Drinker

Post by rowyourboat » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:59 pm

What screen are you using post boil?

I've had some very good BH with my BM, but others not so much and i think it's down to the grain crush maybe (lower results from one supplier compared to another). Haven't tried a no sparge brew yet, but one reason to go single vessel was space saving, so if I could hit good eficiency consistency I'd ditch my old HLT tomorrow!

MattGuk
Piss Artist

Post by MattGuk » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:54 am

I decided against using a screen in the end and just stick to whirlpool.
I was thinking of using one of the perforated plate from the malt pipe to drop in after the boil to reduce trub but decided against it in the end, mostly because I'm lazy and I didn't clean out the malt pipe until the day after.
I use both the perforated plates in the mash, one on top of the other at the bottom of the malt pipe to help reduce particulate from entering the wort, which also does away with the overflow pipe.
Makes it much easier to mash in without that overflow being there, plus makes it easier to clean out the malt pipe too.