Mash/Sparge query

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Brewski
Sober

Mash/Sparge query

Post by Brewski » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:45 pm

I'm looking to get back into brewing, I used to brew 3V AG, and back then I remember filling my MT, mashing and then topping up after my mash. After this I would then sparge. Looking at the all in one systems and calculators it seems to ask for all of batch 1 in the system at once, with a second sparge after mash. Is this correct? And does it affect efficiency?

One more question, is there an advantage to a system that recirculates during mash?

Apologies for the very basic questions, just wanting to get a few things straight in my head before I decide on a system. TIA

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Mash/Sparge query

Post by IPA » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:39 am

I brew using a Braumeister. For a 50 litre brewlength I put 55 litres in at the start then sparge with 10 litres after removing the grain. After the boil I top up to the required volume. Usual efficiency is 83%
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Brewski
Sober

Post by Brewski » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:32 am

Thanks,

Seems like it doesn't make a difference to efficiency.

I'll be doing Corny sized brews so the 30L should be sufficient, although if the price jump isn't huge I may look at bigger.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:39 pm

Recirculation helps promote an even temperature in the mash. Beyond that is doesn't really have much impact on efficiency. One of the reasons the Braumeister's pump(s) are not so powerful. Less is more.

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Efficiency is not a necessary goal to get hung up on. If your system produces 70% then as a homebrewer be happy and work with that. As you come close to 100% you risk tannins and other not nice things. Leave that to the large commercial brewers.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie