GF G30 bottom perf plate seal

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Bertie Doe
Steady Drinker

GF G30 bottom perf plate seal

Post by Bertie Doe » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:24 am

Just taken delivery of my G30 and have done 2 back-to-back brews. Small niggle but I spent 20 mins to get the bottom perforated plate in WITHOUT the silicone plate seal falling off. I tried installing at a 30 degree angle and wetting the sleeve but no joy. They also suggest "running grain dust around it to make installation easier". ??

Clearly they realize there's a problem. Will it work without the seal or will the bottom plate lift and allow grain into the pump? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Regards Paul

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: GF G30 bottom perf plate seal

Post by Dennis King » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:08 pm

It is a pain in the arse but it does go. I was told to use star san in a spray bottle and that helps

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:48 am

Yes, Starsan sprayed in the inside of the malt pipe and inserting the bottom plate at an angle helps. When it gets near to the bottom I work my way round the bottom plate pushing gently down on the silicone seal until it gets to the bottom.

I did this yesterday on my 44th grainfather batch successfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Bertie Doe
Steady Drinker

Post by Bertie Doe » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:27 pm

Thanks Dennis and Cobnut, I don't have any Starsan at the moment but if the following does not work, I'll see if my brew shop has any. On my next visit I'll also grab a spare seal at £3.50 -ish.

However, I've found something that works, the plate now slips into place, with ease. Attach a length of nylon fishing line (I used 4lbs breaking strain) to a darning needle and tie the seal permanently in place. It takes about 30 mins to loop the nylon around the edge thru the perforation holes.

I used enough pressure on the line, to bury itself in the seal - without increasing the diameter of the plate. Overtime if it does cut through, I'll use 10 lbs line on the spare seal. Anyway, I'll update this thread, if there's any change for the worse. Regards Paul.

Kevwaller
Steady Drinker

Post by Kevwaller » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:30 pm

Put the basket into the gf with your water in and the plate should then easily slide down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Post by Good Ed » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:18 pm

Despite wetting the inside of the tube with Videne spray, I was still having difficulty in setting it in place first time. Now I still spray but then dip my finger in olive oil and run this around the bottom of the tube, I'm then able to set the plate first time, I then wipe the area with alcohol. Also the tube is not a perfect cylinder so you have to rotate it to get the right position by feel.

wellyftw
Tippler

Post by wellyftw » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:19 am

I'm amazed they still haven't fixed this. It's been a known issue since it came out (or at least since they introduced the silicone seal in the second version). I'd have thought that in this new G30 version they'd have done something about it.

Used to brew with a grainfather which was brilliant. I ran into this problem a fair bit but found the starsan trick in conjunction with putting it in at an angle worked. My mate who bought my GF from me doesn't bother with the seal and puts the bottom plate in as it is.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:57 am

Bertie Doe wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:27 pm
... However, I've found something that works, the plate now slips into place, with ease. Attach a length of nylon fishing line (I used 4lbs breaking strain) to a darning needle and tie the seal permanently in place. It takes about 30 mins to loop the nylon around the edge thru the perforation holes.

I used enough pressure on the line, to bury itself in the seal - without increasing the diameter of the plate. Overtime if it does cut through, I'll use 10 lbs line on the spare seal. Anyway, I'll update this thread, if there's any change for the worse. Regards Paul.
Mine are (is, I don't use the top plate) wired on with annealed stainless steel wire (eBay). I used six points around the circumference to add a twist of wire (rather than thread one continuous length), but six isn't enough and I'll need to double that to stop the "seal" coming off in places.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing