Flickering screen and cut out on Karstein/BrewDevil/Guten

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
Donald
Steady Drinker

Flickering screen and cut out on Karstein/BrewDevil/Guten

Post by Donald » Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 pm

Hi there. My klarstein has been happy for three years yet today turns itself off once it gets warm (end of mash or 80deg on boil cycle) - the lcd screen flickers and the unit resets.

I’ve opened up the bottom and everything looks Ok, nothing obviously overheated or a smell of burning and the PCB is a v1.

Is it time to replace the board? £80 at angel home brew or is this a broken thermal switch issue.

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Re: Flickering screen and cut out on Karstein/BrewDevil/Guten

Post by Nashbrew » Tue May 11, 2021 10:27 am

Does it have the same screen and PCB as a Brewzilla?
Looks very similar if so availble very cheaply here
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001227737015.html
Falling apart together nicley🍻

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Tue May 11, 2021 5:05 pm

I would defo replace broken thermal switch first. They are pence..and those little b*******'s have done for me no end of times.
I am not recommending this, but I have in the past just taken them out of the circuit (bypass them) to prove the problem. Then ordered the necessary replacement bits.

Is it is just a loose wire?

Warmth creates expansion (generally) so is it causing something to move? If you can see day PCB, have a look are there any dry joints on it?

Donald
Steady Drinker

Post by Donald » Wed May 12, 2021 10:56 pm

Wow the Robozilla parts are cheap!

Unfortunately not the same as the Klarstein/Ace/Guten etc ones so cant drop one of them in.

I tested with the thermal switch bypassed - same response with the screen flickering off and the power cut out so looks to be a problem on the PCB itself.

I will see if SmartPID comes back into stock as the solid state relay used to control the element there looks far more reliable than the relays used on the standard circuitboard but if if is more than a couple of weeks have to stick with standard replacement - as i'm out of beer!

Smok3y666
Sober

Post by Smok3y666 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:40 am

Hi. Having same issue. Did you manage to fix this?

Mine is heating the water, then I hear a click, the machine starts beeping and the LCD flashes diaplying 0.0

I can reset it holding the Start/Stop button and it displays 7 then I can carry on and it will be fine.