New 'Swiss' BM

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
McMullan

New 'Swiss' BM

Post by McMullan » Fri May 14, 2021 8:55 am

I can't remember or find the thread this was supposed to go in, but here it is on its own. The new higher position for the 2nd tap/valve is better positioned for recirculating (cooling) big 1.5 batches. It helps to get cooling wort to the top for these big batches, I found. Otherwise a temperature gradient forms therefore extending cooling time, which defeats one of the key benefits behind the mod to recirculate. The lower one is better for half batches. If I'm making something simple, like half a batch of starter wort, I won't recirculate at all and plug both holes, as the lower one is in the pic, using the BM as it was designed and cooling with an immersion chiller rather than recirculating through and CFC.
IMG_0379.JPG

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: New 'Swiss' BM

Post by MashBag » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:11 am

Agree about the temp lamination, is it not resolved by running the pump?

I can get from boiling to 20c in less that 10 mins (depending on the ground water temp) with a jade clone. Pump on @ 80c.
Last edited by MashBag on Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:42 pm

I tried using the BM pump once. Not the smartest thing to do, to be honest, when you use whole hops exclusively. I now usually use a hop spider, but it covers the BM pump outlet.
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG (879.38 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
The current set up works very well, especially for 1.5 batches (up to 35L).
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 2239 times
My CFC (a large ZChiller) has a much higher capacity to chill than the Speidel 20L IC. Under 15 minutes to get down to 17℃ from boiling at the moment. About half that time during autumn and winter when the tap water is much cooler. When not using the spider, either a springer filter alone or with a HopRocket inline prevents any blockages and gets nice clear wort in the FV.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:29 am

Not sure the spider covers it completely, but I get your point... The spider is in the way of a good strong upward jet. I remove mine before chilling.

I have wanted a hop rocket for a while.. Does it deliver the promise?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:19 am

MashBag wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:29 am

I have wanted a hop rocket for a while.. Does it deliver the promise?
Yes, it definitely works. It alters recipes quite noticeably. I managed to turn one of my standard bitters into a very nice session IPA. Very interesting too as an infuser between keg and tap, although a little care is needed to avoid blocking 3/8 to 3/16 JG fittings :oops: