What One-Pot Systems do y'all use

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.

What Stainless System do you use

Grainfather G30
80%
Grainfather G70
No votes
Brewly 40L Brewery Kit
No votes
Brewolution Brewster Brewery 40L
No votes
klarstein Maischfest Boiler Mash Kettle 30
No votes
SS Brewtech
No votes
Brew Monk Magnus – All-in-one brewing system 45 Litre
10%
BrewZilla / RoboBrew 35L v3 - Gen.3.1.1
10%
Brewdevil Microbrewery 30 L
No votes

Total votes: 10

escapizm
Sober

What One-Pot Systems do y'all use

Post by escapizm » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:41 am

I'm returning to AG after 10 year hiatus, made all my own kit before and bottled. Now older and wiser I'm looking for all stainless and will corny keg.

Initially, I was blown away by Grainfather but have since come across alternatives that are cheaper (caveat emptor).

Any tips or advice on what people have with pros and cons welcomed, I've listed a few of the options below in this poll to see whats popular.

Recently discovered this and the 45 litre really appeals so I can fill two 19 litre corny kegs with two separately fermented (different yeasts perhaps) beers. https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... -45-litre/

Many systems look similar, so far in fact that they are probably from the same factory and badged up differently.

Thanks for the tips this will be a significant outlay and long-term relationship so I don't mind paying for an easy life if needs be.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: What One-Pot Systems do y'all use

Post by f00b4r » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:37 pm

I have a Braumeister but that and the Brewtools are relatively expensive compared to what you can pay for a system, personally I think it is good value but it isn't in everyone's budget.
None of the systems will necessarily make you a better brewer or better beer but can make life easier or more bearable, e.g. with cleaning or step mashing but they often have their own upsides/downsides, e.g. the GF's concealed element.
Maybe a rundown of what type and amount of beer you like to brew, what you hate doing and what you hope they will bring will help narrow it down. E.g. if you are intending to brew a lot it might be worth spending a little more for higher quality or for a device where all parts are replaceable.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:20 pm

You missed off the original grainfather clone. The Ace, it's basically a first generation Karlstein/Robobrew/Brewdevil.
I've got that so wouldn't know how to vote 🤔

Cheers Tom

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:38 pm

I bought a GF30 after hearing from a few users in my local HB club. Been pretty happy with it so far.

I know of a few people who’ve bought Klarsteins. Much cheaper than a GF, but it lacks some of its’ features.

It is debatable what difference this makes to the ultimate beer quality.

As F00b4r says, think about what you want to brew and how you want to brew. Then try to ask owners for what they do and don’t like about their chosen systems.

For GF, I like the recirculating mash, but the issues (& I think you’d hear this from most users):

1) getting bottom plate in without losing the silicone rubber seal 🤬
2) the ball valve on the recirculating pipe often gets blocked when using pellet hops (when transferring through CFC)
3) pump sometimes stalls (not sure why) - a bigger pump could be the answer

I also occasionally wish it could cope with a bigger batch size, but not enough that I’d shell out for a G70!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:20 am

No Braumeister in that list?
Falling apart together nicley🍻

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:14 am

I have a GF30, sadly I haven't brewed for over a year.
I went from 3V to the GF and didn't regret it, I brew(ed) 20L lengths to fit my corrnies. I found that a 20L brew in the GF = 19 in the cornie.
I tend to leave the bottom plate in place since it is a PITA to fit, lost the top plate several years ago, must have gotten thrown out with the grain when I was emptying the tube, I just use a bit of tin foil with some holes in it still get 1060+ from a 4Kg load.

escapizm
Sober

Post by escapizm » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:41 pm

Thanks guys, I like the idea of brewing enough to fill two fermenters then 2 x 19litre kegs then using different yeasts or dry hopping them. I guess that narrows it to a 40 to 50 litre system (Brewolution Brewster Brewery 40L or Brew Monk Magnus) I'd be looking to make pale ales, IPA, Timothy Taylor and maybe experiment with a few fruit additions to try and get wife interested (she doesn't mind Fruli). I'd like to have 4 kegs on rotation to try a few different beers of a weekend instead of being stuck with 1 or 2.

I really like the G30 but don't think it's big enough and the G70 is too much. I then have to get fermentors and kegs etc so the initial outlay will be high...

links

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... -45-litre/ £495 GBP for the extra £100 you get 3 yr warranty.

https://www.thehomebrewery.co.uk/brewol ... rewery-40l £393 GBP

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:52 pm

Take into account that the bigger systems may have stronger heating elements and require more power than a std 13a socket can safely provide

Cheers Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:54 pm

Just looked at the brewolution and it has the usual 2500w elements so you should be ok there. Not sure about the other as it has a 3000w

Cheers Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:03 pm

Just had a quick Google. The maximum load on a single socket is 3000w

Cheers Tom

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:33 am

Are you a brewer or a drinker?

Do you want to tinker?

Do you want a brewday (5 or 6 hours) or are you open to other ways?

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:37 am

I have a BM that I have used for many years, I liked the fact you can repair it, as it is built with components.

Many klar-ace-monk type units have to be replaced in they fail.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:27 am

The main issue is the bonded elements so isn't that also true of the grainfather?
I must admit that the BM is a really good piece of kit but the price, no matter how good the machine is, will put people off purchase

Cheers Tom

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:40 am

G30 for me, more than happy

escapizm
Sober

Post by escapizm » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:44 am

soupdragon wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:03 pm