Braumeister or Brewtools??

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
ozroger
Steady Drinker

Re: Braumeister or Brewtools??

Post by ozroger » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:47 pm

OK - it looks like I can post only photo at a time.

So here's the dip tube fitted:
dip tube.jpg
dip tube.jpg (118.01 KiB) Viewed 3819 times

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:49 pm

Here's one of the two Inoxia mesh discs. Clean ups so much easier:
Inoxia mesh.jpg
Inoxia mesh.jpg (190.38 KiB) Viewed 3819 times

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:52 pm

And a summary of the other bits'n'bobs:
BM add-ons.jpg
BM add-ons.jpg (112.76 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
The pipe-cleaner thing is ideal for cleaning the pump inlets and outlets, and the Oates dish-mop gizmo is great for cleaning the elements.

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:58 pm

No. 2 (the lower drain mod) really makes final clean-ups easy - strongly recommended.

I don't use it for draining wort, as the pump gets clogged up with trub by that stage, however the s/steel dip tube gets out practically all of the wort, trub-free.

Here's the extra layer of insulation I added on top of the Speidel jacket. I found early on that using the copper domed lid, I got boilovers, so now the dome lid sits on the shelf, unused. If you're in Australia and are interested in buying it, give me a yell.
BM jackets.jpg
BM jackets.jpg (115.59 KiB) Viewed 3819 times

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:05 pm

Great write up and pictures Rodger!

Nice to hear that the pickup tube works so well, I have just ordered a Brewtools one to test it out myself; currently it is stuck in post-Brexit customs hell but hopefully gets here in the next few days and I can report back. I didn’t get the o-rings (paid extra) as you apparently need thicker ones but am going to see if some silicone tubing around it will form a nice seal. Do you whirlpool the trub or just let it settle out before draining?

I have the BAC Brewing pressed steel filter plates (along with the extender kit) and am astounded that Speidel have not switched to something similar, they are much better and the end user does nto have to be so careful to avoid pricking themselves.

On my 20L I have never had boil over issues with the hood (SS in my case); I brew indoors but it is probably hotter in Australia. Really interesting that doubling up on the jacket works so well though.

I am tempted by the lower tap mod but want to see how the pickup tube works first. I don’t really want to put an unsanitary ball valve there that I have to dissasemble but do really want something bottom draining for easier cleaning. I am thinking about a couple of options:

- A tap that easily comes apart for cleaning in seconds
C86B67B2-9A18-49E7-88FD-1B44993A4ED7.jpeg
quick disconnect tap
C86B67B2-9A18-49E7-88FD-1B44993A4ED7.jpeg (40.7 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
- An attachment that screws on the pump male thread with a hose to drain in the sink, although I need to figure out the type and size of thread.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:36 pm

That really is a nicely thought out valve. Good find.

BUT ..... Is a 3 way valve really THAT unsanitary if it is cycled, flushed and cleaned properly or is this a commercial practice (for different reasons) that the internet has 'mythed' us homebrewers into thinking it is mandatory?

f00b4r
Site Admin

Braumeister or Brewtools??

Post by f00b4r » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:10 pm

I honestly don’t know about a three way valve but a straight 2/3 piece ball valve (which I all I would use for draining) can definitely harbour some nasty gunk, I’ve seen enough pictures of it happening that I would have to break it down (not sure if every time but certainly often) and clean it, reducing the benefit of it a little. Others that do the same have told me it is best to do it when you first get it as it then becomes easier to take apart subsequently.
The valve picture above and similar ones are a great design. Not a fully sanitary design but very very easy and quick to clean and also importantly dry.

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:42 am

f00b4r wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:05 pm
I didn’t get the o-rings (paid extra) as you apparently need thicker ones but am going to see if some silicone tubing around it will form a nice seal. Do you whirlpool the trub or just let it settle out before draining?
On my 20L I have never had boil over issues with the hood (SS in my case); I brew indoors but it is probably hotter in Australia. Really interesting that doubling up on the jacket works so well though.
At the end of the boil, I wait 10-15 minutes for convection currents to settle down before whirlpooling. Then wait another 15 minutes or so before slowly draining the wort via the dip tube. I can usually drain all but about half a litre trub-free wort. The best tip I can offer is not to rush the draining, thus largely avoiding drawing in the trub to the bottom of the dip tube.

I don't use a chiller. I use the no-chill method of completely filling a 20 litre poly cube with wort which is still above about 85C. This requires a slight modification to hop timing to allow for the hop stand time. Rule of thumb is that 15 or 10 minute hops are added at knockout instead.

Works for me, but I understand that not every brewer is overly enamoured with the no-chill technique. 8)

The o-rings I use on the dip tube are these:
o-ring id.jpg
o-ring id.jpg (62.28 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
Regarding not using the dome lid, typical brewday ambient temperatures here range from around 30C in summer to maybe 12C in the brewshed in mid-winter, so the double insulation does the job well.

Your comment on cleaning the ball valves has me wondering whether I should change the lower drain mod ball valve to a three-piece valve. I have a new unused one in the spares box, so should stir my stumps and fit it!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:47 am

Cheers for the info on the o-rings. It is always good to bounce ideas off each other and see what works for people, even if sometimes they having differing goals.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:05 am

f00b4r wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:47 am
Cheers for the info on the o-rings. It is always good to bounce ideas off each other and see what works for people, even if sometimes they having differing goals.
Absolutely agree with you. I also think it prompts further thought into the subject.

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:50 pm

Hi Ozroger

What diameter is your elbow? Is it the 15.7mm one?
Falling apart together nicley🍻

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:47 pm

19.1mm OD. Wall thickness is 1.6mm. I can't remember whether mine is 304 or 316 s/steel.

Here's the page from Prochem, my supplier's website:
Prochem s-s elbow.jpg
Prochem s-s elbow.jpg (174.79 KiB) Viewed 3725 times

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:54 pm

Cheers ozroger

I think the tap outlet size is the same on a BM20 & BM50 around 18.9> 19mm.
My attempt failed because my elbow was too thin a wall thickness have another coming from Aliexpress.
Falling apart together nicley🍻