Braumeister or Brewtools??

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Braumeister or Brewtools??

Post by MashBag » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:00 am

I am a BM20 user and big fan. But the second gen controller scares me. Misting up. Really?

If you want more from a BM20, consider modifying it instead. Install a lower pumped tap.
You can then PUMP to the fermenter using the internal pump and is makes cleaning soooo much easier.

Also think about your processes perhaps.
Double mashing does not mean a double brewday., but does mean twice the beer.

Fermentation in the kettle does work (to my own astonishmemt)

Overnight mashing does reduce brewday significantly, as does overnight chilling.

Bring these together and you can define your brewday.

Bigger does not mean better.

Also look at the camurri brewer... Has a lot of merit.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:27 am

timtoos wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:59 am
Hi all,

I brew on a BM20 but want to upscale.

I fancy either the BM50 or Brewtools B80. I dont want a grainfather or such like - I dont like the non replaceable heating element as I have totally useless unit should it fail.

I can get a second hand BM50 for £1000. Its the last controller model (the one which misted up but he says it doesnt).

I can get a second hand B80 with 4 valve accessory kit and counter chiller for about £2500.

Whats folks thoughts? I like my BM20. I can get it going and walkaway from it, making family life that bit easier. At boiling/cooling times it can get hectic yes, - but dont all rigs?

On the other hand, the B80 looks really good and in the same robustness style. I like the more effective chiller, transferring and whirlpooling options.

Whats folks thoughts?

Thanks
PM'ed you

timtoos
Piss Artist

Post by timtoos » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:38 pm

Hi MashBag,

Thanks for your PM. I have asked the seller on the BM forum for more information - still waiting.

I have a 20L model at the moment and wanted to do bigger volumes. 20L just isnt enough for the work involved.

Cheers

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:27 pm

Hope it works out well for you.

I have proved brewday doesn't have to be a mission (or in fact a day 😁). What style of beer do you make?

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:19 pm

I’ve owned both systems. BM’s simplicity makes it the winner.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:58 pm

I've got a 50 and a 20 litre BM. I originally bought a 20 ( think it was the first automatic model sold by Brouwland) before that they had no controller everything was manual. The fine filters at that time were FABRIC and the bottom one needed to be fixed to the bottom plate with copper wire to stop them floating ! (my idea)
I soon realised that it was not big enough,like you , and sold it and bought a 50.
I subsequently bought another secondhand 20 with the new controller in preparation for the time when I would no longer be able to lift a 50 litre FV 😀
I would not change them for any other system. They are simply brilliant. I now brew 57 litres once a month to keep myself and friends supplied with beer.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Nice one IPA.

I joined the BM party in 2011 (I think.. Its been a bit of a blur) I baulked at the price... bought it and NEVER looked back. It has more than paid for itself. Brew most weeks at the moment, but never a brewday. I have tried to better it and cannot. Sorry brewtools, not even close IMO.

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:49 am

I have only ever known the BM (apart from kits with my Dad)
I must say it has far exeeded my expections, I would happpily spend the money again given the choice out there.
Looking at other systems, I cannot see any other that comes close when it comes to programming and almost walking away.
I now do overnight mash,ferment in vessel. This has completly changed the brew day.(for the better IMHO)
There customer service could be a touch better .
Falling apart together nicley🍻

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:56 am

Nashbrew wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:49 am

There customer service could be a touch better .
LOL. Have to agree with that.

Nashbrew wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:49 am
........programming and almost walking away.
Does this boil down to (intentional :D) if your are a drinker or a brewer.
Don't get me wrong I enjoy the process, but brew-day it isn't 'my thing'. I enjoy the tinkering and the drinking my own beer.

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:02 am

I like the the brewing love the drinking the final product kinda person.🍻🍺
Falling apart together nicley🍻

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Cheers. Me too!

nibber
Steady Drinker

Post by nibber » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:25 pm

Personally i think the Brewtools equipment is grossly overpriced plus they use their own size (34mm) tri-clamp fittings instead of the industry standard 1.5" why ? :!: so you cannot even use the standard 1.5" ones.
So for example you buy a B80 for 2 grand and then have to spend another grand on the 4 valve "starter pack", nope i will stick to my Braumeisters thank you.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:44 am

Wow. I didn't know that. Is there some scientific reason or are they just being a bit sharp (too proprietary)

I don't like wavey elements either. A bugger to clean.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:08 am

It’s not their own size, I purchased some clamps and seals easy enough from the UK.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

wellyftw
Tippler

Post by wellyftw » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:14 am

nibber wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:25 pm
Personally i think the Brewtools equipment is grossly overpriced plus they use their own size (34mm) tri-clamp fittings instead of the industry standard 1.5" why ? :!: so you cannot even use the standard 1.5" ones.
So for example you buy a B80 for 2 grand and then have to spend another grand on the 4 valve "starter pack", nope i will stick to my Braumeisters thank you.
That's not really true. Firstly it's not their own size, you can buy the 34mm tri clamp fittings from eBay, aliexpress and amazon.

Secondly you can get adapters to convert from 34mm to 1.5mm triclamp fittings.

Thirdly, it works out of the box perfectly well. You can use the system as purchased with a single valve, and an immersion chiller. You can run a whirlpool with a single valve to cone your hops and trub before you transfer to your fermenter.

Yes, it's more expensive than a BM but it's a bigger system and infinitely expandable as needs require but this claim that I've read in various places that you "need" the 4 valve pack is simply false.