Braumeister or Brewtools??

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
nickjdavis
Steady Drinker

Re: Braumeister or Brewtools??

Post by nickjdavis » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:27 pm

As a prior contributor to this thread I might as well provide an update....about 4 weeks ago I took delivery of a Grainfather G40.

Brewed once on it so far and as it stands, I am quite impressed by the system.

my initial thoughts can be found here... https://angliancraftbrewers.org.uk/2022 ... ew-part-1/

at the end of each piece there is a link to the next part of the review as i've split it up into 3 pages, no doubt with a 4th to follow when I've brewed on it for a second time....will also add some pictures at some point.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:44 am

That is an excellent write up and a balanced review. Thanks I enjoyed it.

I think you have proved there is no perfect system. But you can, with some thought, buy a machine that's very close to way you brew.

I have heavily modified my BM with a lower tap and have to agree the massive difference it makes. They come as standard now.
So…was it a joy to use?
I have heavily modified my brewing process too.
This wasn't a destination, but a journey that has taken many twists and turns. I am a long way down the road and I can't say yes it is a joy or not mainly because I don't have a brewday any more.

One question, is the element on the G40 built into the base of the kettle.

nickjdavis
Steady Drinker

Post by nickjdavis » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:17 am

MashBag wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:44 am

One question, is the element on the G40 built into the base of the kettle.
Yes, it is the same arrangement as the G30....apparently the element is physically larger so the heat distribution is less concentrated to help alleviate the scorching issues that some G30 owners experienced.

wellyftw
Tippler

Post by wellyftw » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:31 pm

nickjdavis wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:27 pm
As a prior contributor to this thread I might as well provide an update....about 4 weeks ago I took delivery of a Grainfather G40.

Brewed once on it so far and as it stands, I am quite impressed by the system.

my initial thoughts can be found here... https://angliancraftbrewers.org.uk/2022 ... ew-part-1/

at the end of each piece there is a link to the next part of the review as i've split it up into 3 pages, no doubt with a 4th to follow when I've brewed on it for a second time....will also add some pictures at some point.
Good review. I used to Brew on a Grainfather and made some great beer with it. It was a good system. I've never brewed on a BM or used one so can't speak for that but good to read you're happy with the GF after coming from a BM.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:08 pm

By the way Nick’s commentary on the handles on the Braumeister are out of date. This weekend I was at a friends house and saw his 2015 model had rubber covers on the handles as shown in the picture below:
F89422DB-C2DC-44DE-9733-65C676AE4722.png
BM rubber handle covers
I was under the impression he had added them himself but apparently not. They feel really solid but they definitely seem like it was a stealth upgrade that Speidel put out at some point (his BM is a 3-4 years old I think). Unfortunately they don’t seem to be available to buy but Speidel do usually make all parts available so I might drop them an email.

It is a great review of the G40 though and it will be interesting to see that feedback after a few months as I know Nick brews regularly.

Oh, the element is apparently (with the correct knowledge) replaceable in the G40. :wink:

nickjdavis
Steady Drinker

Post by nickjdavis » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:11 pm

mmm....such handles were not available when i bought my BM in 2016. Pesky Germans sneaking in decent upgrades without telling anyone. [-X :D

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:30 am

Good writeups Nick - thanks.

Mashbag's comments about BM user mods reminds me of just how much I've improved my brewdays with little tweaks here and there. They sure add up:

* Lower drain tap mod
* Stainless steel elbow with o-rings, pushed into the existing BM outlet to facilitate draining nearly all wort, leaving just the cone of trub behind.
* 3 piece ball valve replacing original BM outlet tap/valve
* BM's optional LOB kit
* Second insulation jacket (on top of BM's optional jacket) so I no longer need the copper dome lid I bought.
* Heavy duty electrical plug with screw-ring to secure the 15 amp plug into my industrial-type wall socket.
* Kitchen sink "dish mop thingy" to clean around the elements.

I look forward to brew days (don't we all) but have to restrain myself, 'cos at 55 litres per brewday, I can't drink it all fast enough. :beer:

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:43 am

ozroger wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:30 am
Good writeups Nick - thanks.

Mashbag's comments about BM user mods reminds me of just how much I've improved my brewdays with little tweaks here and there. They sure add up:

* Lower drain tap mod
* Stainless steel elbow with o-rings, pushed into the existing BM outlet to facilitate draining nearly all wort, leaving just the cone of trub behind.
* 3 piece ball valve replacing original BM outlet tap/valve
* BM's optional LOB kit
* Second insulation jacket (on top of BM's optional jacket) so I no longer need the copper dome lid I bought.
* Heavy duty electrical plug with screw-ring to secure the 15 amp plug into my industrial-type wall socket.
* Kitchen sink "dish mop thingy" to clean around the elements.

I look forward to brew days (don't we all) but have to restrain myself, 'cos at 55 litres per brewday, I can't drink it all fast enough. :beer:
Pics or it didn't happen.... :P
Seriously though, I am interested to see what you think of each interation.

EDIT, especially interested in details of the elbow.

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:32 am

I'll post pics as soon as I can find the appropriate option. As an admin, can you grant approval for me to post pics?

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:35 am

f00b4r wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:43 am

Seriously though, I am interested to see what you think of each interation.

EDIT, especially interested in details of the elbow.
The hinge point of a lot of mods, is your acceptable level of trub... In BM terms this is the dead space below the tap.

My level is higher than most, so a pumped lower drain tap mod was a game changer. I use this as the only valve. Making the elbow method unnecessary and I have blanked off the original BM outlet tap/valve.

A Second insulation jacket (on top of BM's optional jacket). Big tick. Mine is a tailored sleeping bag.

Kitchen sink "dish mop thingy". Yes indeed, again big time savings. I use a loo brush and truck wash. I attach a hose to the lower pump tap for recirculating washing water.

I think any system gets tweaked after a few brews. Guess the longer you have it the more you tweak.

Stealth Handles 🍺 Car edge trim makes brilliant handles and feet. That said, most movement stops as soon as you do the lower tap mod.

Happy brew days.

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:51 pm

The other big improvement/mod was getting the Inoxia mesh mats. They have a solid perimeter ring onto which the s/s mesh is welded, and are a huge improvement on the original mesh circles with their fraying edges, etc.

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:52 pm

[quote=ozroger post_id=861583 time=1644061861 user_id=31788]
The other big improvement/mod was getting the Inoxia mesh mats. They have a solid perimeter ring onto which the s/s mesh is welded, and are a huge improvement on the original mesh circles with their fraying edges, etc.
[/quote]

Once again, once I've made sufficient posts to permit me to post pics, I'll do so.

(Another three to go I think...)

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:56 pm

ozroger wrote:
ozroger wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:51 pm
Once again, once I've made sufficient posts to permit me to post pics, I'll do so.

(Another three to go I think...)
I have removed you from the new users group, see if you can post pictures now.

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:45 pm

OK - picture posting now available, so here's a few pics.

Here's the s/steel bend/dip tube. A mate of mine machined a couple of grooves to take the o-rings, and it just plugs in nicely to the original BM outlet:
The attachment diptube.jpg is no longer available
And fitted (photo taken using smoke and mirrors - well, no smoke, but certainly a mirror!):
diptube.jpg
diptube.jpg (42.1 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
More pics in the next post.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:47 pm

Just be aware that there is a bug in the forum software at the moment, if you preview a post with multiple pictures it will lose some of them. You might want to check your previous post.We hope to have that fixed soon.