Rhubarb wine

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
SquireKnott

Rhubarb wine

Post by SquireKnott » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:49 am

I've Found a few recipes but none of them say it needs peeling when I would've thought it would.

Does it?

Ink

Re: Rhubarb wine

Post by Ink » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:05 pm

I think you should. I'm pretty sure rhubarb skin contains some nasties that can make you ill. I know you can eat the early shoots without peeling them.

I'm happy to be corrected though. One of my colleagues can't kill his rhubarb so there is alway tonnes of it floating around at work, so I could give it a whirl.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:52 pm

From CJJ Berry's wine-making book: -
Rhubarb, it is true, does contain oxalic acid, which is poisonous, but it is largely confined to the leaves (which we do not use) and not the stems.

Do not peel the rhubarb, but chop it, or slice it thinly.
Make of that what you will.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

SquireKnott

Post by SquireKnott » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:48 pm

Thanks lads - it went in half peeled so I should only end up half dead hopefully.

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:18 pm

I've never peeled it-just don't use the leaves. oddly,it makes the sweetest of the wines I make.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:15 am

I think its on the "winesathome" channel on youtube, where Colin (Todd, I think) has done some good video clips about rhubarb wines, from juice extraction methods to the actual ferment.

I understand that its a freeze/thaw method (but you don't squeeze the thawed pulp as that leads to cloudy wine). Plus you don't heat as that causes cooked flavour issues and putting the pulp/stems in the ferment can cause "gellification" problems (dunno if that's a pectin thing or not).

Oh, and the oxalic acid is in the leaves. Just cut them off and there's no problem........

You could just search about rhubarb wine at winesathome.co.uk and that should lead you to the vid clips and other handy ideas and suggestions (after all, its run by the "Yorkshire massiv" and a lot of them are around Wakefield area so they, well some of them, know their rhubarb - especially that anaemic looking "forced" stuff :wink: )......

tudou

Post by tudou » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:10 pm

I've never peeled my rhubarb (for wine or crumble) and I'm still alive.

I generally freeze 1.5kg then add that to a bucket with 1.5kg of sugar and leave for a few days until there is a nice, thick syrup. Then add this to your DJ along with grape juice (or concentrate) and top up with cooled boiled water. Also worth "rinsing" the rhubarb with hot water to get the maximum juices from it - I put the rhubarb mush in a sieve and pour water over it and squeeze with a spoon. I've had beast results using a Bordeaux White Wine yeast.