Keg conditioning?

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Keg conditioning?

Post by Hudson1984 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:10 pm

Hi all,

can wine (as it kit wine - I'm too lazy for proper stuff) be conditioned in a corny?

I'm just wanting to make life as compact as possible. The wife is enjoying the Beaverdale stuff - especially being it's so cheap compared to shop bought.

I want to move onto 30 bottle kits, but don't want to fill the fridge with 30 bottles of wine (where would my cider go!)

So was hoping I could use a corny.

I'm planning on a keezer build next as i'm getting a bit annoyed with the carbonation results from my plastic keg, and was hoping I could have a keg for wine and a keg for cider - if there's room maybe a keg for lager too.

I don't want fizzy wine of course, just want a space saving way to condition it. Then at least the longer it's in the keg the better it'll taste right? I mean that's the rule for bottles. So by the time the kegs empty it'll taste half decent.

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Keg conditioning?

Post by Jim » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:16 pm

For storage any inert, sealed container is fine for storing wine. However getting it out of a cornie would involve using gas under pressure, so the wine would likely get a bit sparkly. If you're doing sparkling wine, that's fine, but still wine would be another matter.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

McCoy
Tippler

Post by McCoy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:09 pm

Nitrogen is used for wine on kegs. It doesn't sparkle the wine.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:57 am

McCoy wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:09 pm
You learn something new every day! :)

Anyway, it prompted me to have a quick google with this interesting and informative result (even though they're talking about commercial use, it looks like good info for home use as well) - https://www.kegworks.com/commercial-dra ... ine-on-tap
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

McCoy
Tippler

Post by McCoy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:12 pm

[quote="Jim"][quote=McCoy post_id=851909 time=1594055386 user_id=23864]
[/quote]

You learn something new every day! :)

Anyway, it prompted me to have a quick google with this interesting and informative result (even though they're talking about commercial use, it looks like good info for home use as well) - https://www.kegworks.com/commercial-dra ... ine-on-tap [/quote] Yeah, found this when looking for compact nitrogen alternatives a few years ago. For dispensing stout. Ended up using N2O cartridges instead, the nitrogen cartridges were hard to get and rather expensive.

Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Post by Hudson1984 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:24 pm

so it's looking likely I could have a corny full of wine! interesting....

would be great for the home bar.

FULLERS
Tippler

Post by FULLERS » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:53 pm

YES, HAD BLACKCURRANT WINE IN CORNY FOR 2 YEARS AND IT WAS SUPERB

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:12 pm

For what it is worth I store all my mead ( honey wine) in cornies. I have over 30 in mead use. I use carbon dioxide to displace the mead BUT via drinks gun with a very low flow rate. These are available on eBay . The flow is restricted by using a narrow tube - 3 mm ID. I tend to use a cheap soda stream bottle and regulator and just keep enough pressure to keep a modest flow. I bottle using this technique and the product is not fizzy becaue there is not enough time to absorb the carbon dioxide.See link to the pluto gun.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Full ... SwJ7RYXSbx