Superior Seven wine kits

A forum for winemakers to discuss their craft
soupdragon
Under the Table

Superior Seven wine kits

Post by soupdragon » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:16 pm

Hi all

Has anyone tried the above mentioned kits? They're from Spitting Feathers homebrew, I presume they're the retailers own brand? They include oak, elderberries or elderflower depending on which variety of kit it is. Doesn't say how much grape concentrate/compound there is to the kits but it says no extra sugar is required. I'd imaging they'd have the usual 5 ish litres/7 kg though.
Any info on how these turn out would be great

Cheers. Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Re: Superior Seven wine kits

Post by soupdragon » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:58 pm

Couldn't find much out about these. Saw a few pictures on Google and the boxes are the same size as Cellar 7, one pic showed a white wine weighing 7kg.
Had an itchy mouse finger all day so have bought some to try. Got a few other kits to do before I'll get to these but I'll report back once I start one

Cheers. Tom

tomandrichard
Sober

Post by tomandrichard » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:42 pm

Don't know about these, but I have been getting great results with the premium ranges from Beaverdale. Just bottled a rose and it tastes really good.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:53 pm

Got a Malbec going. It's only had a week or so fermenting so way early to comment. Smells rather pleasant though

Cheers. Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:10 pm

Just stabilized/degassed and fined it. Give it a couple of weeks and I'll bag it up and have a cheeky snifter 🍷

Cheers Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:20 pm

Just bagged this and had a small sample.
A bit acidic, some fruit, touch of oak and decent colour. Slightly thin in the mouth but that's to be expected with the £30-35 kits.
To be fair, that could describe a lot of kits when they've just been bottled.
I've 10 litres of California Connoisseur Valroza followed by 20 litres of Beaverdale Nebbiolo before I get to this but may dip into it in a month or two.
So it's not bad at all really, for my dodgy palate anyway

Cheers Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:37 pm

Right, time for an update.

Only got half a glass from the last box of the Beaverdale so poured a half of the Superior 7. Initially it still was still a bit sharp (acidic?). However once my taste buds had adjusted the following day it's actually ok. If I'd gone straight from a the likes of a Cellar 7 or my other go to kits, Punch, I don't think I'd have noticed much difference. I've still got 3 x 5 litre boxes of this Malbec to get through and I plan on enjoying every last drop. Just as well as I've got a South African Red along with a Shiraz still to make up. They'll have to wait a while though as there are two Cal Con's to drink next. So overall I'd put the Superior 7 kits firmly in the £35 grouping. I'd happily buy them again but if the On The House are still on offer at £37.80 I'd buy a couple of those instead, can't pass up a bargain 😉

Cheers Tom