Which yeast for TC?

A forum for cider makers
Truffle Shuffle

Which yeast for TC?

Post by Truffle Shuffle » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:42 pm

Well my lovely tc has now gone it was just a small batch and was my first ever brew of any kind, but I really liked it. it was dry and sharp and i made it with wilkos cheapo wine yeast.

I was gonna try something different for a 23l batch and wondered if a different yeast would make it a bit fruitier/appley?

I have 3 yeasts to hand to pick from:
Gervin GV2 'robust wine yeast'
Safale us05 'dry ale yeast'
GV12 'ale yeast'

Does anyone have any experience with these yeasts and tc? And what were the results?

I intend to bottle and will start drinking it when carbonated as the last lot was lovely.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Which yeast for TC?

Post by Pinto » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:59 pm

All three of them will work well - although the Ale yeasts tend to finish a little sweeter whereas the wine yeasts go all the way with fermentation. Due to being made with desert apples, TC can lack the "apple" bite but there are some ways to get it back; Through research, OldBloke found that Suma Apple concentrate (available online or most good health food shops) works very well, some others have had success with putting shredded cooking apples into the ferment. I have 25L bubbling away merrily right now and when it's done, I plan on experimenting with boiled, aerated and cooled double strength tesco NAS apple squash - my experiments with the effect it had on cheap white cider suggested it should do the trick nicely, and being NAS, provide a touch of back sweetening.

So far, my tests have indicated that 5-10ml per 500ml of cider gives me the "apple" that commercial brews give (and i'd wager that it's the exact same thing the commercial producers do to their ciders ;) )
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:36 am

Try the GV12

Truffle Shuffle

Post by Truffle Shuffle » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:42 am

[quote="oldbloke"]Try the GV12[/quote]
I only have gv2 ?

Truffle Shuffle

Post by Truffle Shuffle » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:46 am

Truffle Shuffle wrote:
oldbloke wrote:Try the GV12
I only have gv2 ?
Wot am I on about? Just woke upImage . Sorry. I have heard somewhere that an ale yeast works well, it just didn't say which one.

Truffle Shuffle

Post by Truffle Shuffle » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:55 pm

Took your advice OB, got 23l on with the gv12 ale yeast. Blipping away nicely at a steady-ish 19 degrees.

davew
Piss Artist

Post by davew » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:49 am

I've had some success cultivating the yeast from old Rosie. Seems to give the scrumpy effect.
Fermenting: Wilkos Cider
Drinking: Wilkos Hoppy Copper (very nice)

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:22 pm

davew wrote:I've had some success cultivating the yeast from old Rosie. Seems to give the scrumpy effect.
Yeh it's known to carry the lactobacillus you need for the extra malolactic ferment.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:02 pm

Truffle Shuffle wrote:. I have heard somewhere that an ale yeast works well, it just didn't say which one.
Last year I had great success brewing a coconut cider with Munton's.
I'm just here for the beer.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:02 pm

I just bottled a turbo cider today, I used some of the yeast left over from a coopers sparkling ale kit. Worked great, finished at 1004 although that included the priming sugar so it probably finished at 1002. I left it in the primary for an extra week as i was a bit lazy . Sample was really tasty. It was the mixed ale/lager yeast that comes with that kit

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:17 pm

I've used Munton's Gold with good results. And a recent batch with S04 seems Ok but is a bit young yet.
Seems just about any yeast works with TC, you get slight flavour differences but it's pretty much all good.

Truffle Shuffle

Post by Truffle Shuffle » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:33 pm

So this tc finished at 1.002 using the gv12 ale yeast. Been in the fv 2 weeks now and smells great. Taste wise it seemed ever so slightly 'thin'? But hopefully it was just me?

Just wondering tho as I'm a newbie... I have a spare working fridge, plugged in in the shed. could I put the fv in there for a week or so? Would it help or not? Especially as I'll then be bottling. Or should I just leave it welll alone until I bottle it? Any advice much appreciated guys. :)

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:19 am

Thin-ness is more likely down to ingredients than that yeast.
It's one reason I now always use Suma aj concentrate - more apple to the gallon than you can get with standard AJ. And I always add in something other than AJ to broaden the flavour profile, it really does help an awful lot.
A typical gallon for me is 500ml Suma, 500ml cheap AJ, 500ml cranberry, tsp tannin, tsp sweetener, tsp nutrient, yeast, make up to gallon with water

Truffle Shuffle

Post by Truffle Shuffle » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:18 pm

I'll have to try that recipe. I do love a cider, I like it dry like strongbow or the cheap taurus stuff from aldi. The last one I made was nice with a cheap wilkos wine yeast so still have high hopes for this one :)

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Truffle Shuffle wrote:I'll have to try that recipe. I do love a cider, I like it dry like strongbow or the cheap taurus stuff from aldi. The last one I made was nice with a cheap wilkos wine yeast so still have high hopes for this one :)
It'll be fine :) Had a 4 pack of that Taurus stuff bought for me - pretty certain it's never seen an apple tho :lol:

As i've posted in one of my other cider threads, the cheap "juice drink" I added to my latest brew seemed to have added more apple and body than any of my previous turbos - we shall see if it persists into carbonation and conditioning.....
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here