Turbo Cider for a newbie?

A forum for cider makers
Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Turbo Cider for a newbie?

Post by Hudson1984 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:01 pm

Hi all, so I see there's LOADS of threads regarding Turbo cider and i'm a bit lost as to where to start so hoping for a crash course.

I've got access to a load of free glass demijohns as my grandad has retired from making homemade wine so i'm going to try my hand at keeping things going. Now i'm more of a cider fan than wine - but the wife drinks wine so thinking if I keep her happy with Wine, she won't bat an eyelid at the cider production.

so, I've a few questions hopefully they aren't too dumb!

Is it still Alcoholic? if so what strength should I expect?
How long does it take to get something quaffable?

And the key one, put yourself in my shoes...

let's say you've been given 10 demijohns. What would you do with them?

If I can get some different fruit blends going I'd be CHUFFED!! i.e. a nice turbo perry perhaps? some mixed fruit thing a straight apple one.

When do I bottle? after how long in the demijohn?

what else do I need? my kit list essentially comprises of....demijohns NOTHING else.

I'd like to bottle ideally....If I can get some which I don't think I can so will be on hold until someone accepts orders. Do I add more sugar when bottling so I get a decent fizz?

Chug
Tippler

Re: Turbo Cider for a newbie?

Post by Chug » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:14 am

TC is alcoholic, and the strength depends on the amount of fermentables, it takes around a week to ten days to ferment, then its bottled with sugar and left a week or so to carb up and can then be drunk, but its best if left a few weeks to a month before drinking.
I've posted my two regular recipes in the other thread.

Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Post by Hudson1984 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:34 am

cheers i'll take a look.

Now I've got 5 demijohns coming today...freebies so may as well use them.

So was just thinking of using these really then when shops allow me to i'll get some bottles.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:44 pm