warm it up

A forum for cider makers
Hudson1984
Piss Artist

warm it up

Post by Hudson1984 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:11 pm

hi all,

so, reading through posts here, lots of people seem to say "18 deg this" 20 degree that"

my plans really mean I need to brew in my garage, now it's insulated out there but i'm not intending to heat it permanently - only when i'm out there then i'll chuck the heater on.

This doesn't of course go hand in hand with making a consistent brew.

i've managed to find myself some equipment to allow me to have a bash at turbo cider! yay! but i'll need to keep the demijohns warm..any ideas? I've seen bands that plug in, seen pads that go under fermented barrels etc.

anyone got some tried and trusted stuff

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: warm it up

Post by Cobnut » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:02 am

The ideal solution is a brew fridge.

An old fridge with a small tubular heater and a temperature control unit (Inkbird or STC-1000).

Google it or search on here - plenty of places/people can show you how it's done.

Cost wise: 2nd hand fridge £30-50, Inkbird <£30, Tubular heater £10-15, your time "priceless".

Simples!

If you have the space and can find one, get a larder fridge for when you scale up to conical fermenter.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Hudson1984
Piss Artist

Re: warm it up

Post by Hudson1984 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:39 pm

hmmmm now there's a plan, i've got an old fridge in the garage that we use for booze.

Could easily chuck a small heater in there and be done - then pester you lot with how to make the inkbird thing work.

Could fit a larder fridge but prefer to use that for bottles :)