non-honey "mead"

For those making mead and related drinks
Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: non-honey "mead"

Post by Laripu » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:11 pm

I have 5 pounds of agave nectar sitting around, that I'll add to 5 pounds of honey to make a light mead.... "in the fullness of time". (i.e. When I get around to it.) http://www.xagave.com/shop/xagave-5-lb-single/

Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat May 03, 2014 12:32 am

Little update: people who try it love the golden syrup "not mead"
I've done one that's basically a mildly spiced mead and one that's a melomel, bit with syrup instead of honey, and they work.
They do have slightly toffeeish backnote (very much so if you include any black treacle, obv) but if this appeals to you, give it a try.

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Sat May 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Laripu wrote:I have 5 pounds of agave nectar sitting around, that I'll add to 5 pounds of honey to make a light mead.... "in the fullness of time". (i.e. When I get around to it.) http://www.xagave.com/shop/xagave-5-lb-single/

Lari,
How did this one turn out ?
Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Sat May 03, 2014 4:34 pm

6470zzy wrote: Lari,
How did this one turn out ?
Cheers
Very nicely. It was 10 lbs of honey and about 5 lbs of agave syrup. I let it bulk-age in a glass carboy for a year, siphoning every 4 months. I didn't carbonate it, but it does retain a bit of sparkle anyway, surprisingly. The result is very light, very alcoholic and very delicate tasting. It's currently aging in 12 oz beer bottles. You've reminded me: I think I'll have some tonight.

Here's a thread in which members of Jim's Beer Kit helped me create the label. In fact 90% of the creative work was done by other JBK members, and I just slapped together the results of their work and added a Spanish rhyme (thanks to Google translate).

The creation of the Meady Gonzales label by JBK members.

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Sat May 03, 2014 4:39 pm

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Sun May 11, 2014 7:03 pm

oldbloke wrote:Little update: people who try it love the golden syrup "not mead"
I've done one that's basically a mildly spiced mead and one that's a melomel, bit with syrup instead of honey, and they work.
They do have slightly toffeeish backnote (very much so if you include any black treacle, obv) but if this appeals to you, give it a try.
Well done for the update OB. I haven't thought to give it a try........yet !

Brian (cellar rat - over at Winesathome) posted about making a JAO recipe batch but with golden syrup, instead of honey. He posted about some differences in resulting flavour. It made one that is slightly sweeter to taste than a normal version of it, so maybe there's some mileage in making mead recipes but using the Golden syrup instead of honey...........

john21wall

Post by john21wall » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Very well that you have described, something for everyone of them found

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Well, threads pop back to life after ages...

I've done the syrup not-meads a few times now and they're generally well-received.
I do it pretty much like I'd do a berry-based country wine, but with lots of golden syrup instead of water and a bit of sugar.
I make them to at least 15%, usually go for 18 (my "legendary banana wine" is 20...)

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:25 am

In this thread, I described a pair of porters, one with all American ingredients, the other with all UK ingredients.

The UK version used Lyle's black treacle, the US used unsulphered molasses. The black treacle had a very strong taste. The molasses is pleasant in the given quantity in a dark beer like porter, while the treacle tastes as though it will need very long aging to mellow.

So for mead I'd stay away from black treacle. (Probably molasses too, but black treacle definitely tastes stronger.)