Piss Artist

Re: Took the plunge

Post by GAZ9053 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:18 pm

Good point. Well made. :D

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:28 pm

A bit of an update.

It has had nearly 2 months fermenting and is now quite clear so decided I would rack it off the lees. It did have a vanilla pod, cinnamon stick and a couple of cloves in there too. I ditched the cinnamon and cloves, but kept the vanilla pod in there. The SG is now 0.996, from 1.106 so now around 15% ABV.

My only comment is that it is a tad too dry and maybe should have stopped it sooner, or had more honey in there. I may need to sweeten it up a bit or do another one and blend. Certainly drinkable as I like dry wine, but not sure it would win any prizes. Maybe with a few months maturing it will improve. I will leave it in the DJ for another couple of months and then bottle it. Should be crystal clear by then. We can have a first outing at the Get Together in February. :D

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:17 pm

Bob,
Did this Mead get a prize at the Festival?
Your side of the room was picking up prizes Left, Right and Centre! =D>
The 3 different bottles from 3 different brewers were great in our little drinking circle on Sat Night.
I am going to make Mead soon! #-o
Then I will sit at your table at next years` Fest and enjoy all the plaudits. :D

WA

Mead Prizewinner at Homebrew Fest 2018.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Yes it came 3rd. It was my first effort, and nearly went down the sink it was so dry. Anyway rescued it by adding honey to back sweeten. Turned out to be a half decent mead in the end. I'm struggling with Mead V2. It has been fermenting since February and still going slowly. Has a way to go yet. It started at 1.130 and has got to 1.075 when I checked it last week. I'm thinking I need to add a decent yeast to get it properly fermented. I'm just worried it will ferment to dry again if I do that.