Devising Recipes

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:25 pm

Mmm... The new technique section is developing nicely... :D

wee stu

Post by wee stu » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:36 pm

Recipe development has become both more interesting, and sometimes more frustrating, for me since I invested in the http://www.beersmith.com brewing software.

Changing the odd ingredient or amount in there can give me good indications of what might happen once I get the mash tun out. On the downside, tweaking the virtual beer becomes so easy it often ends up in downright fiddling ;)

Ray Daniels, Designing Great Beers, is another resource I frequently call upon, especially if I am approaching a new style.

wee stu

Post by wee stu » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:41 pm

Daniels could be getting a bit old now, or at least his book might be ;) , it was produced in 1996 :lol: .

One thing that some people find off putting is that he uses the recipes from award winners at the American National Homebrewing Championsships as data for some of his analysis. Willamette and cascade may not be to everyone's liking :D

I tend to take the American homebrew data parts with a liberal dose of salt. The discussions on historical origins and contemporary commercial examples are much more interesting and helpful. Almost ashamed to admit it, but his chapter on Scottish ales helped a lot in developing my own expat down under versions of same. More so than the Noonan book, in the Beer Styles series. But then again, that was written by a Yank too, and his New Brewing Lager just gives me a headache, before it puts me to sleep.

Beersmith and Promash for that matter, are tools - nothing more. But they are good tools. If you don't understand the processes underpinning them, they are not going to make the beer for you. Having said that, if my computer breaks down........................:(

awrabest, stu

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:52 pm

I use ProMash and find it useful, I might even cough up for the full version - shock! :D

QUOTE andy!...sounds like one for you too

:lol: :rolleyes:

wee stu

Post by wee stu » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:11 pm

Beersmith is a lot more userly friendly, at least to the computer challenged like me.

Simpler interface, far fewer windows or screens to have to deal with.

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:44 pm

I bought the Ray Daniels book, and it's like reading a flaming PhD thesis! :angry: It contains loads of info, but I think I'm going to have to be in the right frame of mind to read it.

wee stu

Post by wee stu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:28 am

QUOTE (BlightyBrewer @ Feb 24 2006, 07:44 PM) I bought the Ray Daniels book, and it's like reading a flaming PhD thesis! :angry: It contains loads of info, but I think I'm going to have to be in the right frame of mind to read it.
Blighty, never ever go near Greg Noonan's Lager book, if Daniels does your head in :stun

Daft as, the Aussies, even the better micros and a lot of my home brewing mates, also seem to thing that neuralgia is the perfect accompaniment to any beer :o

Shame the Wheeler and Protz books on Real Ales are out of print now, would like to have a squizz at them.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:39 am

QUOTE (wee stu @ Feb 24 2006, 10:28 PM) Shame the Wheeler and Protz books on Real Ales are out of print now, would like to have a squizz at them.
The word on the streetz is that they're being reprinted this year!

which is nice....

wee stu

Post by wee stu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:46 am

QUOTE (andy @ Feb 24 2006, 10:39 PM)
The word on the streetz is that they're being reprinted this year!

which is nice....
Great! More money to spend!

Thanx again for the help, now successfully a member of UK-Homebrew.