'No boil' simple English Bitter experiment

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
clarets7
Piss Artist

'No boil' simple English Bitter experiment

Post by clarets7 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:21 pm

I was reading about the no boil brewing method yesterday online, I hadn't realised in was still so common in Northern Europe. As I had a few odds and sods of grain and hops around I thought I'd have a go at a 5L stovetop brew just to try it out.
Mashed 800g of MO, 100g of Amber, 100g of Crystal 60 and 5g of Bramling Cross hops in 3.5L at 67C for 90 minutes. In another pan I boiled another 3L of water with 10g of Bramling Cross for 60 minutes. When the mash was done put the bag in a colander above the pot and sparged with the hop tea - it had cooled to below 80C by then. Ended up with just under 6L of wort at 1045, so about what I was expecting. I did heat it back up to 75C for 10 minutes to hopefully kill off any nasties. Let it cool naturally outside to 18C before yeast added, collected from my last brew, a Nottingham/Windsor mix.
I'll give it a couple of days then put it into a mini cask to finish off. These brews are supposed to be drunk young apparently, so by next weekend should know what this tastes like!
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: 'No boil' simple English Bitter experiment

Post by MashBag » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:03 pm

Certainly I will be watching with interest.
Have already reduced my boil to 45mins and my brew day process would be concidered as either innovative or bonkers.

I suspect the reason for drinking young is a reduction of bittering.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:19 pm

Suffice to say I won't be trying this again, smelt and tasted like I thought it might, boiled cabbage water. I'll try your 45 minute boil next Mashbag.
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:30 am

In the past I have done some brews from very old recipes. With accompanying offbeat instructions.

We seem to have a nostalgic view "the past is always better". I am long enough in the tooth now, to understand the past is "the past", progress is often "progress" and either my pallette has evolved, or they drank since proper 'orrible shite way back. 🤣🤣

Cheers for the update. I can tick that one off too now.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:03 pm

clarets7 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:19 pm
Suffice to say I won't be trying this again, smelt and tasted like I thought it might, boiled cabbage water. I'll try your 45 minute boil next Mashbag.
You can get good No-boil results using extract.
I'm just here for the beer.