Salted Chocolate Cinder Toffee Imperial Stout

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Salted Chocolate Cinder Toffee Imperial Stout

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:20 pm

That title got your attention didn't it? I'm referring to this beer:

https://shop.hoppily.co.uk/products/sal ... ffee-stout

Have you tried it? It's a chocolate bar in a glass. Not everyone's thing, granted. I love it and am trying to replicate it.

I currently have an 11.3% stout in a pressurised fermenter. So far I've added 250g of ground cocoa nibs. Here's the recipe:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=83599

The New Bristol Beer factory say that they add blow torched cinder toffee (aka honeycomb) to their stout. I'm guessing no one here has tried that before, but have any of you added untorched honeycomb? If so, how did it turn out? At the end of the day, it's just sugar and bicarb of soda. Unscorched, it just tastes like sugar. I've blow torched some and it smells amazing. Tastes really 'caramely' too. I added it to a glass of water and it dissolved. Taste was mild.

Any ideas on how to move forwards? How much would you add to 21L? How much of a torching would you give it? Perhaps the oven is a better shout? Could really control that uniformed caramelisation.

Planning vanilla pod addition too.

Ideas welcome!

Oh... I've contacted the brewery... surprise surprise, they haven't replied.

Cheers all,

Floyd

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Salted Chocolate Cinder Toffee Imperial Stout

Post by charliemartin » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:52 am

I can see why you want to brew this. At £7.50 a can (plus postage) it could be an expensive habit.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Altonrea Homebrew

charliemartin

Post by charliemartin » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:57 am

Not sure about torching or oven. Think the oven would be more controllable maybe. I noticed that they list lactose in rhe ingredients. Is that in the stout you have brewed?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Altonrea Homebrew

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:54 am

charliemartin wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:52 am
I can see why you want to brew this. At £7.50 a can (plus postage) it could be an expensive habit. Image
That's was my exact thought! It would be interesting to work out how much this does cost to make at homebrew scale though.

I also see there's an 11% stout for £10 further down the page. A tenner for a 440ml can! :shock: I thought Cairn 'o' Mohr fruit wines were starting to get pricey at £7.80 for a 750ml bottle of 13.3% elderberry, seems I was wrong.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:39 pm

Yep. It's an expensive one! I've only had a few. I tend to spend a good 3 hrs sipping at it so don't really mind the price that much. Plus, the amount I've saved on brewing my own over the years is in the thousands. I'm always quids in regardless!

I'll be adding lactose too. Not sure how much yet. F.G is currently 1.018. The cinder toffee will ferment out completely and will drop the F.G even further. Will bring the F.G up to 1.027 with lactose. Should be around 300g - 400g I reckon.

Homebrew price is £41.24. Will end up with 19L I'd say. So, 95p for 440ml. Serious price difference!

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:44 pm

Roasted 250g of the cinder toffee in the oven for around 15 mins at 170c. Really browned up and the smell was divine. Into the beer they went.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:16 pm

Check out 3 mins 15 secs in this vid. I think I'm taking it pretty easy in comparison!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XWB8MPr9qY

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:09 pm

Silly me I thought this is a beer forum ! Good job that wine producers are not going the same way. Still the brewer has the obligatory long hair and beard plus loud tee shirt. All of this with the ambition to produce something alcoholic that bears no resemblance to beer as we know it. It seems to me that as long as it is strong in alcolhol,tastes different and sells well it can be called beer. Beam me up Scotty
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:18 pm

IPA wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:09 pm
Silly me I thought this is a beer forum ! Good job that wine producers are not going the same way. Still the brewer has the obligatory long hair and beard plus loud tee shirt. All of this with the ambition to produce something alcoholic that bears no resemblance to beer as we know it. It seems to me that as long as it is strong in alcolhol,tastes different and sells well it can be called beer. Beam me up Scotty
Thank you for coming in on a thread that you have absolutely no interest in to let us know how disinterested you are in it. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Please leave it there though... :wink:

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:05 pm

floydmeddler wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:39 pm
Homebrew price is £41.24. Will end up with 19L I'd say. So, 95p for 440ml. Serious price difference!
That's one hell of a saving! You'll have to buy at least one more at full price for a taste comparison though ;-)

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:19 pm

Yep! Would be rude not to! :-)

MarkA

Post by MarkA » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:20 pm

Definitely!

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:02 am

I had the 4.5% version of this as a takeaway in a 'growler'. It was lovely, but tou could smell it in the next room. It was a nighmare to get the smell out of the container too. Would definitely drink the occasional half again.

Their branding is fabulous too!

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:16 am

IPA wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:09 pm
I was rather dubious of the 4.5% version at first, but it's a surprisingly good beer. And let's face it, unless you follow the Rheinheitsgebot (sic), you only have the dictionary definition of beer, which probably uses at least one 'generally' or 'often' to describe beer...

Binkie Huckaback
Piss Artist

Post by Binkie Huckaback » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:09 am

Accidentally quoted and edited post rather than simply editing an earlier one for spelling ('tou' should have been 'you'). Mods, feel free to delete this.