Badger Champion

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
deadlydes

Badger Champion

Post by deadlydes » Wed May 03, 2006 9:34 am

Had a bottle of this last night and it was great. see http://www.badgerbrewery.com/beers/champ.asp
great taste of elderflower

has anyone else tried it?

any ideas on how to recreate? i am guessing chuck in a few elderflowers into the boil of a pale ale.

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Wed May 03, 2006 10:14 am

In the most recent journal of the Craft Brewing Association, Brewers Contact, there was a short piece on brewing with elderflowers.

Unfortunately journal articles under a year old are not put on their http://www.craft brewing.org.uk/, but I'll dig out my copy later and give you a gist of what it says ;)

tribs

Post by tribs » Wed May 03, 2006 11:03 am

Badger Champion is a great beer. Golden Glory is good too. It has peach and melon characteristics. Badger brew some excellent ales.

I'd be interested on your notes regarding the use of elderflower.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Wed May 03, 2006 11:36 am

The last time I tried Champion I didn't like it but since then my palette seems to have changed and I now prefer less malty brews which have a great hop presence. I'll have to revisit Champion and see how it sits with my ever changing tastes :)

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Wed May 03, 2006 12:03 pm

Ok, the article is very short, and can be summed up as follows:

Wait for elderflowers to be totally ripe before harvesting them - this is when they can be shaken off into a carrier bag. They are ready to use when they turn cream. Better to shake off, not snip - snipping can add astringency and tannins.

You need lots - 80g of flowers require 2 or 3 carrier bags of heads.

The writer added 80g of ripe flowers to 40 litres of wort 15 mins before the end of the boil (a 1042 pale malt with 40 IBUs of Challenger), another person added a handful to an adnams clone.

Hope this makes sense, if not let me know. :)

Btw - plug: Craft Brewing Association is a good thing to join - you get a newsletter four times a year, and they have local groups you can meet up with.

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Wed May 03, 2006 12:27 pm

Badger Champion and Golden Glory are great ales! I agree with DAAB on the Blandford Fly, I'm not so keen, one bottle is enough for me.

BTW, thanks for the CBA plug BD, looks like a good association...might have to support that one.

deadlydes

Post by deadlydes » Wed May 03, 2006 1:21 pm

Thanks for the thoughts
i think using dried elderflowers woulds be way less hassle. just adjust the amounts accordingly. my local HBS sells great dried elderflowers