Landlord, definitive recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Rogerdodge

Landlord, definitive recipe

Post by Rogerdodge » Thu May 05, 2011 8:52 pm

I spent my formative years within 10 miles of Timothy Taylor's brewery and destroyed many brain cells drinking Landlord. I now live in the soft south and have to content myself with bottled Landlord from the supermarket shelf (mostly vile).
The bottled version has Styrian showing strongly in the finish but I don't remember this from the draught version.
The purpose of this posting is to ask those of you, living within earshot of the brewery, what is your definitive Landlord recipe? Surely, there must be some ex.-employees who can divulge the real recipe?
Looking forward to hearing from you, I can't take many more dodgy bottles!

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Re: Landlord, definitive recipe

Post by WishboneBrewery » Thu May 05, 2011 9:26 pm

Might be worth a complimentary letter to the head brewer, I got a reply to one I sent from the head brewer.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29462&p=320403#p320252

stringy

Post by stringy » Thu May 05, 2011 10:26 pm

Have you seen this:
http://www.worcesterhopshop.co.uk/produ ... ucts_id=49

Worcester hop shop sell all grain kits, and actaully list the contents on their website. This recipe comes from Graham Wheelers book. Cant comment on the quality cos I've never read the book, nor tried any of the kits from this site, but it could be a god starting point

eguin

Post by eguin » Thu May 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Graham Wheeler Timothy Taylor Landlord Recipe. :thumb:

Recipe:
brew length 23l
4250g Golden Primrose pale malt
30g black malt

Hops at start of boil

30g Goldings
30g Styrian Goldings

Last 10 mins

20 g Styrian Goldings
1 tsp Irish moss

Flame out

20g Styrian Goldings

Mash schedule 66 Deg C for 90 mins
Boil time 90 mins

OG 1042
FG 1010
ABV 4.2 %

weiht

Post by weiht » Fri May 06, 2011 4:18 am

I just did a this the other day. I went with boiling a gallon of first runnings, decided not to add crystal 120 at the last minute.

4.2kg Maris otter
40g fuggles 60mins
30g EKG 15 mins
15g styrian 5 mins
15g styrian 1 min

I have never tried the cask version and the bottle one has a pretty firm bitterness to me that resembles fuggles, and the styrian is very obvious but didn't taste like it was added at flame off steeping (mOre of from my pt of view, in my system and process I get a very different aroma when i steep vs a 3 - 5 min addition)

I think I would probably miss the colour.

farleyman

Post by farleyman » Sun May 15, 2011 3:12 pm

This is a multi award winning recipe achieving Silver in a NCB TTLL clone competition.
It is for 23 litrs of beer. It also makes an exellent IPA in 17 litre form.

All liquor should be at Ph 5.4. Temps. are in Fahrenheit.
You will need;
4.5 kilos Golden Promise
112 gms. crystal 120
13 gms. patent black malt, finely crushed.

Mash at 150 deg. for 90 mins.

Sparge to exract 5 galls. @1035

Boil for 90mins. adding hops at;
35 gms fuggles for 60mins.
50 gms. styrians for 60 mins.
10 gms. each styrian and worcester goldings for 15 mins.+ protafloc tab.
Ferment with Fermentis US-05 American ale yeast.

Rack with gelatine and leave for 10 days then bottle or keg.If kegging, the addition of isinglass will give it a real polish.
Flavour comes good after 14 days.

Cheers f
Last edited by farleyman on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigveees

Post by Bigveees » Wed May 25, 2011 5:00 pm

Brilliant beer TTL, and being a true southener myself I love a pint after work. Always a strong seller this at my local! So why not find a decent pub and drink it as the brewery intended for it to be served! Just an idea

farleyman

Post by farleyman » Sat May 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Are you sure you are on the correct forum?

Being a true Northerner,I did not spend all that time and effort developing the recipe and brewing the beer so that I could go to some tatty old pub and spend £3 on a pint of something I can make for 25p.

tim99

Post by tim99 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:21 pm

Just done farleyman recipe, tastes good in sample jar
Could do to be darker maybe ?????

tim99

Post by tim99 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:19 pm

Top recipe farleyman ,tastes bloody close
Tad light but spot on taste.

barl_fire

Post by barl_fire » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:49 am

Last night I compared a shop bought bottle of TTL with my GW's BYOBRA TTL that I put in the barrell last weekend. I was amazed how close they were, hats off to GW again =D>

Colour, bitterness and aroma were all spot on. Flavourwise the hopping was just the same too. The only slight difference was my homebrewed GW version had a more fresh maltiness to it which you'd get more from in the cask TTL down the boozer. Likewise and hardly surprisingly, mine was smoother in mouthfeel than the bottled version, but thats to be expected.

beernsurfing

Post by beernsurfing » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:00 am

farleyman wrote:This is a multi award winning recipe achieving Silver in a NCB TTLL clone competition.
It is for 23 litrs of beer. It also makes an exellent IPA in 17 litre form.

All liquor should be at Ph 5.4. Temps. are in Fahrenheit.
You will need;
4.5 kilos Golden Promise
112 gms. crystal 120
13 gms. patent black malt, finely crushed.

Mash at 150 deg. for 90 mins.

Sparge to exract 5 galls. @1035

Boil for 90mins. adding hops at;
35 gms fuggles for 60mins.
50 gms. styrians for 60 mins.
10 gms. each styrian and worcester goldings for 15 mins.+ protafloc tab.
Ferment with Fermentis US-05 American ale yeast.

Rack with gelatine and leave for 10 days then bottle or keg.If kegging, the addition of isinglass will give it a real polish.
Flavour comes good after 14 days.

Cheers f
Farley, why do you ferment with US 05, instead of a UK ale yeast?? Curious. Obviously a bloody good beer by your results!

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:36 pm

"Farley, why do you ferment with US 05, instead of a UK ale yeast??"

That was my thought when reading through this tread also so if you will permit me, I'll go off on a bit of a rant (nothing against you by the way Mr. Farley). You lads over there have some of the best ale yeast on the planet which you can easily purchase at the local home brew shops (and maybe get directly from the brewerys in some cases). Why on God's green earth would you want to make an English beer with American ale yeast? American ale yeast is good stuff, you could ferment stones with it but it is very neutral in flavor. If you want a beer without all the fermentation by products then by all means use it, you will likely not be disappointed. Works great for hopped up American beers, APA's, IPA's, American Brown ales etc. where the hops cover up most of the subtle effects the yeast bring to the beer anyway. Also works very well for American Blonde ales which we use to wean newbees off the crappy yellow fizzy stuff (but to me that is pretty much just dumbed down ale which is why I never make it).

UK beer however is supposed to have subtle flavors, when I make those styles I am always looking for some contribution from the yeast. It always surprises me when I see receipes on this forum where the yeast is not specified or maybe 3 or 4 alternatives are discussed which really are quite different flavor wise. Even the great GW does not give yeast suggestions in his book (at least not in the old version I own), WTF? In my so humble opinion, one of the differences between just ok beer and the really good stuff has to do with fermentation technique and yeast strain selection. I just bottled up some Best Bitters for an upcoming contest and I noticed a bit of diacetyl in the flavor. That is just what I am trying to achieve, I want the diacetyl from the yeast to play off against the crystal malt in the grist for that subtle but noticable impresssion of butterscotch. There is no way I am going to get that effect using American Ale yeast, only the good stuff from the UK will do (in this case, Fuller's strain). Ok, I am done ranting now, as usual take all that for what it's worth, not much. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

weiht

Post by weiht » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Barleywater, i had that butterscotch taste in my recent brew that was a product of the yeast. Didn't help that i used only c120 which is bring it out even more, I ended up dry hopping to bring it down a little n now it's really nice. I do raise my temp the end to bring down the diacetyl levels, but that i didn't know that yeast was like that. Agreed on the dif between the American n Brit yeast. In fact alot of the well known guys there use British strains

beernsurfing

Post by beernsurfing » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Barley water, you wrote exactly what i was thinking haha. Those UK strains are brilliant, definately add character to the beer, and subtle background flavours ( or if fermented warmer, pronounced flavours ).