Adnams Southwold Bitter

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Adnams Southwold Bitter

Post by orlando » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:15 pm

Yes, I'm talking about the Adnams brewery dual strain yeast. The problem is keeping the ratio correct. Even the brewery has their Lab come up with a fresh batch in the right balance. They don't repitch that often.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:51 pm

clarets7 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:26 am
Will sample some more tonight so may be able to add some more comments! I'll need to try the Tyneside yeast as well, any recipe suggestions for a regional beer? It looks to have similar characteristics to the Lancashire with the main difference being it prefers low mineral worts, and is also less flocculant.
No historical regional brewers left up this way apart from Cameron's who have the last remaining Strainmaster and did have Yorkshire Squares. However, they are in West Hartlepool and have invested heavily in water treatment with many yeast strains to replicate other beers are very busy contract brewing. Now one of the oldest breweries is Big Lamp in Newburn, who make a noteworthy bitter beer, but not as hoppy as Adnams produce.

Graham Wheeler's recipe for Big Lamp Bitter. 90 min mash, 90 min boil, 1040 OG, 1010 FG, 4% ABV, 30 EBU, 15 EBC.
!9 litres
3220g Pale
165g Crystal (I use 135 EBC)

37g Goldings at start of boil
9g Fuggles post boil.

I tend to replace some of the pale malt with unmalted adjunct plus invert to reduce the cost, and add a few extra aroma hops for 15 mins.

F00b4r, I feel sure it was he, once told me Tyneside yeast would provide different flavour profiles depending how it was treated, but for the life of me can't remember the detail. Maybe he'll remember and repeat it here.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:32 pm

Apparently with Tyneside yeast the beer flavour can be modified by varying the rate of oxygen at pitching. Low levels give fruity aromas, high levels give a blander product reliant on the ingredients to make an impact. It also apparently settles out according to temperature, so good too if you want to emulate casking.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:28 pm

clarets7 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:26 am
Eric wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:22 pm
Thanks for the report on your yeast. Pleased to hear you are enjoying using it. It will take time to settle into its new home. Hope you enjoy the results.
Will sample some more tonight so may be able to add some more comments! I'll need to try the Tyneside yeast as well, any recipe suggestions for a regional beer? It looks to have similar characteristics to the Lancashire with the main difference being it prefers low mineral worts, and is also less flocculant.
This beer has actually turned out very well, and has improved over time. The initial overpowering roasted notes are now more subdued and letting the other flavours through, very drinkable and four weeks into the cask with blanket CO2 only. Not Adnams bitter though :D but probably closest so far!
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:50 pm

This popped up on my phone the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ldIMPdtYsA
Interesting chat with Dan and Fergus, one thing that Fergus mentioned is that Adnams bitter is only dry hopped in the barrel, Fuggles pellets.
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:49 pm

clarets7 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:50 pm
This popped up on my phone the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ldIMPdtYsA
Interesting chat with Dan and Fergus, one thing that Fergus mentioned is that Adnams bitter is only dry hopped in the barrel, Fuggles pellets.
I saw they now use pellet hops. Hops sometimes came compressed in plugs 50 years ago, but then they were whole, not cut to shreds. I've not tried pellet hops in a cask, but they must work OK.I don't like Citra so don't care for Ghost Ship. Wobbled back too many times after sessions on Broadside to think Ghost Ship is progress. Dry hopping during fermentation is not usual procedure in Britain, maybe introduced by Americans as they didn't cask ale, but filtered and pasteurised it. Adnams top crop their yeast before adding the hops, so enabling the beer to resemble other Adnams beers. I suppose they wouldn't add hops to fermentation vessels when originally brewing Southwold Bitter.

A very good video.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.