Betty Stoggs - Clone

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Kegman

Re: Betty Stoggs - Clone

Post by Kegman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:10 am

Mine was ridiculously high then... or my Hydrometer is well out which I wouldn't be too impressed with as it's new. I have to say though, what I swigged out of the trial jar was very sweet so either my mash efficiency was through the roof or, and more likely, I added too much sugar :oops: When I made it last time I added the sugar at the start of the boil, this time after reading a post on here I added it mid-way through the boil.. maybe that made a difference?

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Troutman47 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:11 pm

The Stog is in the bottle...

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:53 pm

:)

BTW, it ain't Stogg, it's that name I haven't decided on yet!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:45 am

Kegman wrote: Bad news for mine, turns out the lid was leaking in my King Keg so after drawing off a couple of pints it got air in it which ruined it. Can't say I'm too impressed with that King Keg, first the tap leaked, now the lid and I think it's leaking from the valve. I've got an old Edme one I got from Boots about 15 years ago and have never had these problems.
KK's can be a little tricky to get right. The leaky lid is often solved by making sure the lid isn't over tightened as this can distort the "O" ring seal. The other tip is to coat it in a decent dollop of Vaseline (other petroleum jellies are also available). Replacing the drum tap with a Dalex one is by some distance an upgrade that I think is essential and can't understand why it isn't standard or at least an upgrade option. Thye are that good.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:57 am

orlando wrote: KK's can be a little tricky to get right. The leaky lid is often solved by making sure the lid isn't over tightened as this can distort the "O" ring seal. The other tip is to coat it in a decent dollop of Vaseline (other petroleum jellies are also available). Replacing the drum tap with a Dalex one is by some distance an upgrade that I think is essential and can't understand why it isn't standard or at least an upgrade option. Thye are that good.
Thanks, I'll check out the Dalex tap. As for the leaky lid, I think you might be right on the over tightening as I know it had previously sealed because when I opened it up (to fix the tap) it released the pressure. It must have been when I put it back it didn't seal properly... cost me a whole batch of the best beer I'd made to date though :x

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:58 am

Troutman47 wrote:The Stog is in the bottle...
BTW, did you taste it?

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:30 pm

Kegman wrote:
orlando wrote: KK's can be a little tricky to get right. The leaky lid is often solved by making sure the lid isn't over tightened as this can distort the "O" ring seal. The other tip is to coat it in a decent dollop of Vaseline (other petroleum jellies are also available). Replacing the drum tap with a Dalex one is by some distance an upgrade that I think is essential and can't understand why it isn't standard or at least an upgrade option. Thye are that good.
Thanks, I'll check out the Dalex tap. As for the leaky lid, I think you might be right on the over tightening as I know it had previously sealed because when I opened it up (to fix the tap) it released the pressure. It must have been when I put it back it didn't seal properly... cost me a whole batch of the best beer I'd made to date though :x

If you search on Jims for Dalex taps you can see what and I think where I got them from and what I did to convert + others efforts too. I promise you, if you get one you will be amazed at what an improvement it is.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi Kegman, I did taste it, and it was gooood!!

I've bought a bottle of the original to compare so I'm gonna give it a week then try them both.
I'll put photo's of the two of them on here, I'll do the same as you and have a white sheet of paper behind it, but I ain't got no Delia!!

It fermented down to 1.008 using Nottingham yeast so I have 4.3% ABV (mash efficiency of 89.6%, just to rub it in a bit!! :lol: :lol: )

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:56 pm

Made this last weekend using the hop bursting technique, quite enjoying making my own recipes and trying different techniques.
Any way, this has been fermenting for 8 days, fermentation has slowed and is currently at 1.010.

I had a sniff and my God :shock: it was fantastic!!

Hop bursting, I put 100grams of Cascade in ten minutes from the end and that was it, no hops at the start of boil.

Batch 1 of Bigfoot

Dates
Date Brewed: 22 Jul 2012 Date Racked: 22 Jul 2012
Date Packaged: 22 Jul 2012 Date Ready: 22 Jul 2012

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
9C-Scottish And Irish Ale-Scottish Export 80/-

Minimum OG: 1.040 SG Maximum OG: 1.054 SG
Minimum FG: 1.010 SG Maximum FG: 1.016 SG
Minimum IBU: 15 IBU Maximum IBU: 30 IBU
Minimum Color: 17.7 EBC Maximum Color: 33.5 EBC

Recipe Overview
Target Wort Volume Before Boil: 32.00 l Actual Wort Volume Before Boil: 32.25 l
Target Wort Volume After Boil: 25.00 l Actual Wort Volume After Boil: 27.80 l
Target Volume Transferred: 23.00 l Actual Volume Transferred: 22.00 l
Target Volume At Pitching: 23.00 l Actual Volume At Pitching: 23.00 l
Target Volume Of Finished Beer: 23.00 l Actual Volume Of Finished Beer: 23.00 l
Target Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.032 SG Actual Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.039 SG
Target OG: 1.042 SG Actual OG: 1.045 SG
Target FG: 1.010 SG Actual FG: 1.010 SG
Target Apparent Attenuation:: 74.9 % Actual Apparent Attenuation: 77.2 %
Target ABV: 4.1 % Actual ABV: 4.6 %
Target ABW: 3.3 % Actual ABW: 3.6 %
Target IBU (using Tinseth): 26.6 IBU Actual IBU: 21.6 IBU
Target Color (using Morey): 16.8 EBC Actual Color: 16.3 EBC
Target Mash Efficiency: 75.0 % Actual Mash Efficiency: 90.9 %
Target Fermentation Temp: 18 degC Actual Fermentation Temp: 21 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
UK Pale Ale Malt 4.000 kg 88.7 % 3.0 In Mash/Steeped
UK Medium Crystal 0.500 kg 11.1 % 7.6 In Mash/Steeped
UK Roasted Barley 0.010 kg 0.2 % 2.1 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Cascade 6.8 % 100 g 26.6 Loose Whole Hops 10 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
Protafloc 1 In Boil

Yeast
Danstar-Nottingham

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (66C/151F) w/Mash Out

Step Type Temperature Duration
Rest at 66 degC 90
Raise to and Mash out at 77 degC 10

Mash Notes
Mashed at 66ºC for 90 mins, held it's temp throughout.
mash out liquor was 85ºC raising mash temp to 75ºC
Sparge liquor temp was 85ºC sparge temp was 78ºC

Boil Notes
Boiled for 90 mins.
IC added at 70 mins and lifted out when hops were added at 10 mins from end.

Fermentation Notes
Notts yeast rehydrated and added to wort at 25ºC

Packaging Notes

Tasting Notes

orlando

Post by orlando » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:32 pm

I read about hop bursting recently and love Cascade, this has convinced me to have a go too. Long boils with effectively veg in your brew makes me think this could really freshen up some types of brew, particularly lighter summer style beers. Nice one, keep us posted. Must say though I would probably go for 60 minute boil as isomerisation is not really an issue with this method.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:11 pm

Good point about isomerisation,
if it tastes as good as it smells it'll be a blinder!!

Hop bursting is supposed to give a mellower bitterness to the beer and massive hop flavour/aroma so looking forward to this one!

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:17 pm

Kegman, the day has come!
It's been in the bottle a week, I can wait no longer!!! :twisted:

Cleared lovely, looks good, now for the taste test...

I think the colour is pretty spot on, what do you think?
Mine is on the right.

It's a bit more carbonated than the Betty's, I used 80grams of sugar.

Betty had a hop aroma albeit slight where mine didn't seem to have.

Betty is more bitter and hoppy than mine and it lingers a good time after in the mouth.

I think mine might have the hop and bitterness but it's nowhere near. If Betty was 100% hop and bitterness mine would be about 20%.
It just needs more umpf!

Maybe it needs an increase in hops, I reckon the flavour is there it just needs more hops, bittering and aroma.

Kegman, how do you fancy exchanging a bottle so we can compare what we've made?

All in all, I'm happy with what I've made, I think the colour is spot on and maybe doubling the hops would get it pretty close?

BTW, hard work this taste testing, drinking two bottles at the same time!! :whistle: :lol:

orlando

Post by orlando » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:35 pm

Troutman47 wrote: BTW, hard work this taste testing, drinking two bottles at the same time!! :whistle: :lol:

Try alternating :lol:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:47 pm

orlando wrote:
Troutman47 wrote: BTW, hard work this taste testing, drinking two bottles at the same time!! :whistle: :lol:

Try alternating :lol:

I tried alternating, I just drank more! :lol: I gotta cook Sunday dinner too! #-o

Orlando, hop bursting, syphoned this brew into the bottling bucket today,had a taste and had a smack in the mouth of cascade! Awesome!! =D> =D>
You gotta do it!!

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:26 pm

Looks spot on in colour IMO, that Beer Engine is pretty good eh? You need to work on the bottle a bit though mate :lol:

The first batch I made was pretty strong in hops taste & nose, the second not so much although it's only a week and a day since I made it so it's got a bit more conditioning to do which always same to alter the taste. Yeah, be good to swap bottles although I have to get one from somewhere as mine is in a keg, PM me.

Personally I would agree that Betty is stronger so we may need more hops but I get the feeling we've not got the right hop(s). Matt12398 said he would see if he could find out next time he does a brewery tour, in the mean time if anyone else goes to the Skinners brewery please take note and let us know :)

Quite keen to try that hop bursting although I've no idea what it involves, I'll have to do some digging around for the methodology.