Betty Stoggs - Clone

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Kegman

Betty Stoggs - Clone

Post by Kegman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Hi,

I've posted this on a different thread amongst other things which will probably get lost (not sure how to remove it from there?). Anyway, I'm attempting a Skinners Betty Stoggs clone & this is what I've come up with by looking at recipes for other golden/pale ales, guessing the EBU & EBC and then finally playing with the numbers in the Beer Engine:

Pale Malt 3860 grams
Crystal Malt 140 grams
Sugar 70 grams

Challenger 22 grams 90mins
Northdown 9 grams 90mins
Styrian Goldings 11 grams 10mins

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.009
Alcohol Content: 4% ABV
Total Liquor: 32.3 Litres
Mash Liquor: 10 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 30.3605086419292 EBU
Colour: 12 EBC

I figured it's a bit darker than typical golden ales hence EBC 12. Burton Bridge Golden Delicious is 30 EBU which is why I went for that.

Any thoughts? How close am I with the EBU & EBC?

Kegman.

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Betty Stoggs - Clone

Post by Troutman47 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Have you had a chance to brew this yet?

I was searching for a Betty Stoggs clone on here a couple of months ago, would be interested in knowing how it turns out.

Cheers :beer:

regaltabs

Post by regaltabs » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:47 pm

+1 I would love no know how this one turns out. I love Betty Stoggs.

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:53 pm

I've had a play on Beer Alchemy and the EBC of 12 looks more like a lager colour and I'm sure it's more of a copper colour so an EBC of 19-20 looks about right to me.

What do you think?

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Troutman47 wrote:I've had a play on Beer Alchemy and the EBC of 12 looks more like a lager colour and I'm sure it's more of a copper colour so an EBC of 19-20 looks about right to me.

What do you think?
You might be right there, I was more going from memory TBH. I'll have to get a bottle of it soon to refresh my memory and palette :)

This one is made and is now conditioning. All was going very well until I found my barrel was leaking out of the tap so I had to transfer it into another & managed to get a bit of air in it. I added some sugar and loosened the lid a few days later as I read this was a good way to release the air that got in so I have my fingers crossed right now.

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:05 pm

I've just tasted mine, it's been conditioning for just over a week so it's still quite early but I have to report that it's very good and would highly recommend making it.

I got myself of bottle of Betty Stoggs from Waitrose and put it to the test. Colour wise mine is pretty damn close, plus mine still hasn't finished clearing 100%. Taste wise, mine is maltier and although it has a lovely strong hoppy taste, it's clear it's not the same hop as used in Betty Stoggs.

So mine is unique and I'll have to name it, any ideas? Botty Steggs? Doesn't really do it any justice... Keg's Golden Reliever? Hmmmm.....

Now for the colour test. I took both pictures next to a white background and black background (with thanks to Delia) and colour adjusted the levels on both pictures to make the white white and the black black :) It's probably not perfect but they're both pretty close, as you can see the EBC is pretty similar, if anything mine is a shade lighter.

Betty Stoggs

The Attempted Clone

BeerEagle

Betty Stoggs - Clone

Post by BeerEagle » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:52 pm

Kegman wrote: So mine is unique and I'll have to name it, any ideas? Botty Steggs? Doesn't really do it any justice... Keg's Golden Reliever? Hmmmm.....
Betty Swallocks?

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Nice, but it's not conjuring up a delightful taste for me!

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:45 am

That look pretty damn close to me, I think you're right it's a tad darker but very good.

I noticed when I imputed the Black Sheep Best Bitter recipe from GW's book into Beer Alchemy that the EBC came out at 13 when the recipe says it's 18.
I've checked the EBC I've put against my ingredients list and that seems right so I think it may be the program itself.

Any way I'll put your recipe on my list for the next batch.

Nice one Kegman :beer:

How about 'BetKeg' for a name?

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:50 am

Do you know that those are the correct hops for Betty Stoggs? I live a mile from Skinners Brewery so have had a few tours and know that it contains styrian goldings but I can't remember what else they said they put in. If I'm in there any time soon I'll see if I can ask and let you know.

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Matt12398 wrote:Do you know that those are the correct hops for Betty Stoggs? I live a mile from Skinners Brewery so have had a few tours and know that it contains styrian goldings but I can't remember what else they said they put in. If I'm in there any time soon I'll see if I can ask and let you know.
No, I was going from information found here http://www.ukhomebrew.info/phpbb2/viewt ... 8c1b8c6547 which says, "The Good Bottled Beer Guide, (Camra) says Cornish Knocker uses northdown ans styrian goldings, so I guess s.g are the finishing hops. Pale Rider not listed. " and a bit of guess work from the taste as I recalled it.
If you are able to find out for sure that would be excellent.

Thanks.

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:39 pm

Troutman47 wrote:How about 'BetKeg' for a name?
BetKeg sounds OK, what's the significance of the "bet" part?

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:08 pm

'Bet' is short for Betty.

My Mothers name (don't let that put you off!!) :lol:

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:06 pm

Troutman47 wrote:'Bet' is short for Betty.

My Mothers name (don't let that put you off!!) :lol:
Oh yeah of course, feel a bit of a plum now!

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Brewing this one tomorrow Kegman, I've got the hops in this week for it.

I was wondering how your EBC is calculated, is it using Morey or one of the others?

Any way, looking forward to this one, I always say I'd have Betty Stoggs on me cornflakes!!

Have you decided on a name for yours?

I recently started working with a new bunch of lads and they have nicknamed me "Gigantor" as I'm 6'5" and 18 stone! (Pure muscle of course! :roll: :roll: )
So I'm calling this one 'Gigantor Stog'

I'll put some photo's up when it's ready.

Cheers :beer:

TM