Betty Stoggs - Clone

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Kegman

Re: Betty Stoggs - Clone

Post by Kegman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Troutman47 wrote:Yes it is, I think what I'm gonna do is split the quantity of liquor I would have for the top up (mash out) between the mash and batch sparge and have a wetter mash.
As I mentioned before, my mash was 60 minutes at 66 degrees using 10 litres of liquor, then I drained that off, slung the rest in at 77 degrees and left it for 15 minutes. Not sure if this is right or wrong but I got the 60 minutes thing from a post on here somewhere about batch sparging.
Troutman47 wrote:Interestingly enough greenxpaddy had a tour of Skinners recently and posted on here under the title of 'brewery tour' i think it was, it seems like they're trying to hide some of the hops away! lol!
Haha, I would do the same!
Troutman47 wrote:Planning on making this tomorrow, I'm leaning towards 8g of Target.
Put the above recipe into the Beer Engine and the EBU is 43, seems quite high. Bringing Target down to 8g makes it 40, still quite high but who knows?
Troutman47 wrote:4 days without a beer :cry: I'm fed up with mixed berry squash and I can't find one made from malt and hops!
A gap in the market perhaps?!

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Troutman47 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:46 pm

"The other factor with higher mash temps is you get more unfermentable dextrins, like malto dextrin. This will add body to the beer and give a higher finishing gravity and thus lower final gravity so if alcoholic strength is a key factor you may have to use a little more grain or some other fermentable like sugar. The key as always with temperature is ensuring you have evened out as much as possible the temperature throughout yourr tun, a slightly thinner mash helps with this, and you have definitely mashed up all the dough balls.

This is why I'm going for a thinner (wetter) mash.

Beer Alchemy give 33.5 IBU's but you gotta remember Keggy, Mac's and their programs are far better than Microsofts! :wink: :wink: :whistle:

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:17 pm

Troutman47 wrote:Beer Alchemy give 33.5 IBU's but you gotta remember Keggy, Mac's and their programs are far better than Microsofts! :wink: :wink: :whistle:
Ah, so that's why you insist on using a different piece of software... Between us we have the best of both worlds... mwahahahaha!

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:11 pm

yea, I couldn't get beer engine or any of the free ones to work on my Mac cuz they're windows based, there was one that said it might work with 'Mono' but was untested and that didn't work either.

So I paid me 20 quid and went for BA and it is good with the inventory and profiles, mash schedules, you can get up a shopping list on the left of the screen and the web store on the right of the screen and place your order. All the calculators you need.

I think the only thing i'd like to see on there which isn't there at the moment is a timer, so I have to use my phone for that operation.

On the subject of IBU/EBU's, all I have find out is that they are the same.

Your package is ready to go, I should send it tomorrow all being well.

Cheers Keggy! :beer:

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:46 pm

Troutman47 wrote:Your package is ready to go, I should send it tomorrow all being well.
Woohoo, cheers indeed! :beer:

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:58 pm

Managed to get Betty Stogs in Tesco this evening, have they done a deal with Skinners? Hope so!

fego

Post by fego » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:34 pm

Not a fan myself but I have been to the brewery and has already been said, it's tiny compared the their output. But unlike most micros, they brew 3 times a day and then blend their wort to produce up to 8 different beers, two of which are primed with honey including the ginger tosser which doesn't contain any ginger at all, just honey.

Hats off to them though, a remarkable achievement from resources no bigger than my garden really.

Oh, by the way, the hop your chasing is Citra. Add that to your recipe and you'll be close :wink:
Tea is for mugs...

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:44 pm

fego wrote:Oh, by the way, the hop your chasing is Citra. Add that to your recipe and you'll be close :wink:
Oooh! Thanks for the tip, any idea how long?

fego

Post by fego » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Sorry, fraid not.
Tea is for mugs...

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:59 pm

fego wrote:Sorry, fraid not.
I'm thinking dry hop.....

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:56 am

Hi Keggers,
Made any more attempts at BS?
Have you done the dry hopping?

I haven't brewed anything for ages due to problems with the kettle elements in my boiler and a few jobs to do for people.
Got round to doing a Directors today.

Cheers Bud!

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Haven't re-done a BS. Tried 2 which came out good but not right. I dry hopped my latest beer which was an Adnams Bitter clone: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=54133

That came out good but not hoppy enough IMO. I think I'll try a different approach next time, pellets seem to be the way to go to me.

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:48 am

I had a bottle last night and the malt profile had wheat written all over it, quite a creamy pint with a definite wheat taste to it, plus it says malt and wheat on the bottle. Too much wheat IMO.

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:25 pm

I did the Skinners Brewery Tour last week and have written about it here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62477

Got a good list of hops but no indication of measurements or which are used for particular beers. Interesting details about the mash and use of salt though.....

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:42 pm

On a bottle I'm currently drinking it says hops used are north down and styrian goldings. So bittering with northdown and late hopping with a lot of goldings I'd guess. Can anyone confirm if any other hops are used though?
Cheers and gone,

Mozza