St Peter's Winter Ale

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

St Peter's Winter Ale

Post by Fuggled Mind » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:15 am

I'm currently drinking a pint of Saint Peter's Winter Ale and it's really rather moreish. It's not the cheapest beer here in Switzerland but I've been drinking it over the Christmas period for the last three years and wouldn't mind having a go at brewing it.

I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for it. The information on St Peter's is quite limited
A deep ruby red strong ale with an excellent balance of malt sweetness and hop bitterness. A classic example of a ‘winter warmer’; high in alcohol and rich in taste.
Roger Protz goes a little further on Beer-pages.com but still not a great deal of information to help me formulate a recipe.
St Peter's, Winter Ale (England)
This strong, dark ale from St Peter's pours a mahogany brown with a thin, quickly dissipating cream-coloured head. On the nose, chocolate, caramel and toasty malt aromas abound, with a suggestion of mulled wine and plummy fruit sweetness. On the palate this is medium-bodied and surprisingly clean and light, but a whole barrage of burnt toffee, smoke and slightly acrid flavours emerge. There's a liquoricy edge to the beer in a bittersweet finish, with a hint of something herbal adding a nice twist as well as smokiness and a grippy finish.
What I can taste is quite intense chocolate and indeed there is a slightly acrid and bitter finish. There's also a fair bit of sweetness in it. It's described as a ruby-red ale but I think of it as being quite porterish.

Something else which crossed my mind was whether Exmoor's Exmoor Beast tasted similar. This recipe is in Graham Wheeler's BYO and it's the same gravity and also looks quite porterish. I've never tried it but if it's similar, I might give it a go. Has anyone had a chance to try both St Peter's and Exmore Beast?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Jase
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: St Peter's Winter Ale

Post by seymour » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:46 am

This isn't a precise answer, but the St. Peters Winter Ale reminds me a lot of Samuel Smiths Winter Welcome ale. If it does you too, you might consider this clone recipe as a starting point. viewtopic.php?p=568777#p568777

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:17 am

Hi Seymour

That's great. I'm pretty sure I know a place that sells that. I'll take a wander over there at lunchtime and see. Haven't drunk it for a few years but will be more than happy to give it a go.

Thanks for the advice and cheers

Jase
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:07 am

Bump.

Just curious what you decided to do?

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi Seymour

Not sure yet but I had a bottle of Samuel Smith's Winter Warmer on the weekend. I have to admit, it was very nice but very different to St Peter's (which is really a porter in my view). However, I reckon the Samuel Smith's recipe you gave could come close if I added a fair bit of chocolate malt. What I liked about the Samuel Smith's was the head - it stayed with the pint from start to finish. Is this the reason for the carapils in your recipe?

So in short, now I'd like to put together somthing quite porterish, definitely winter-warmerish and with a thick collar of foam.
I might have to compare the recipe for Exmoor Beast with yours and see if I can come up with something workable.

Will post more if I feel I have a recipe worth brewing

Cheers

Jason
W. C. Fields

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Fuggled Mind wrote:...However, I reckon the Samuel Smith's recipe you gave could come close if I added a fair bit of chocolate malt...
Ohhh, that sounds delicious and might just be the key to your success.
Fuggled Mind wrote:...What I liked about the Samuel Smith's was the head - it stayed with the pint from start to finish. Is this the reason for the carapils in your recipe?...
Yes, though I usually include about 4 oz/113g flaked oats for even more of an improved appearance and mouthfeel.
Fuggled Mind wrote:...So in short, now I'd like to put together somthing quite porterish, definitely winter-warmerish and with a thick collar of foam...I might have to compare the recipe for Exmoor Beast with yours and see if I can come up with something workable...
Now you're talking; go for it!

Fr_Marc
Steady Drinker

Post by Fr_Marc » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:02 pm

I wonder if Fuggled Mind is still around and if he managed to come up with a recipe for „somthing quite porterish, definitely winter-warmerish and with a thick collar of foam.“