Amarillo The Irish Red Head

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Amarillo The Irish Red Head

Post by barneey » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:21 pm

Cheers might give it a try for batch number 3.

Flavour wise though the additional hops have made a difference with more of a citrus taste coming through, still early days at the moment, I`ll know in a couple of weeks :)

One thing I did enjoy about the bottling experience today was drinking the Orval whilst carring out the process, might have to have a drink now whilst actually brewing.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:16 pm

barneey wrote:...Flavour wise though the additional hops have made a difference with more of a citrus taste coming through, still early days at the moment, I`ll know in a couple of weeks... One thing I did enjoy about the bottling experience today was drinking the Orval whilst carring out the process, might have to have a drink now whilst actually brewing.
Glad you still like it so much. It's a really tasty base-line for experimentation, in my opinion. And Orval...oh god that's good beer, isn't it? So simple and complex at the same time, bready and slightly spicy, spritzy and dry, with lingering fruity, bittersweet and bewilderingly delicious aftertastes, just the right amount of alcoholic warmth... one of my all-time favorites.

You should strongly consider holding back a few of your Orval-laced Amarillo bottles, allowing the Brett to mature for many months, then build-up those dregs for a future yeast starter.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:34 pm

Had a brewday today in anticipation of being able to drink again in a few weeks time :)

Didnt have any carafa 3 to hand so pretty much keep to the same recipe as the original one, used 1 kg of crystal instead of carapils and took the choc down to a 100 grams. Colour is lighter at the moment, just have to wait and see if I hit the red.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:06 pm

barneey wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:34 pm
Had a brewday today in anticipation of being able to drink again in a few weeks time :)

Didnt have any carafa 3 to hand so pretty much keep to the same recipe as the original one, used 1 kg of crystal instead of carapils and took the choc down to a 100 grams. Colour is lighter at the moment, just have to wait and see if I hit the red.
And...? How was the Orval version? 😃