Amarillo The Irish Red Head

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Amarillo The Irish Red Head

Post by barneey » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:39 pm

Cheers for the idea of a 5l mini variation / hybird.

Will also have to adjust the colour /grain :)

Cheers
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:05 pm

barneey wrote:Image
Woah!

Oh, that's right. You used .3 kg dark chocolate instead of .23 pale chocolate. Still an awesome recipe, in my humble opinion.

In keeping with the Irish Red Head reference, did you know Van Morrison's song "Brown-Eyed Girl" was originally titled "Brown-Skinned Girl"? Looks like you got an Irish-American Brown-Skinned beer there.

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Just ordered another 25kg of wheat & a couple of kgs of pale choc for the next few batches, determined to get the colour RED for the next brew + have found a very nearby supplier for the Orval idea http://www.bottle-shop.co.uk/beers/

Cheers

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:45 pm

barneey wrote:Just ordered another 25kg of wheat & a couple of kgs of pale choc for the next few batches, determined to get the colour RED for the next brew + have found a very nearby supplier for the Orval idea...
Hell yeah, sounds good!

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:23 am

Intresting how some quite dark beer have a white head (like yours) and i've brewed a lot paler beers that have a slightly off white head, i wonder what part of the grain bill affects this?

barneey

Post by barneey » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:25 am

I`m no expert on these thing but never had a problem with head colour, the only real thing constant that is always on my grain bill is the "carapils"

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:26 pm

I'd suggest drinking most of the Orval and only adding the yeasty dregs! It would be a shame to waste such a great beer, unless there's a reason for using the whole bottle.

seymour

Post by seymour » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:27 pm

chivelegs wrote:I'd suggest drinking most of the Orval and only adding the yeasty dregs! It would be a shame to waste such a great beer, unless there's a reason for using the whole bottle.
+1

barneey

Post by barneey » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:16 pm

Just been out and purchased three bottles of Orval (one to drink tonight the other 2 for future brewing) from the bottle shop in Cbury, hope to get a brewday either before or soon after Xmas + another before I return to work.

Managed to pick up some pale choc as well so should end up with a red colour this time.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:17 am

hey, this looks lovely. when you rebrew it will you keep the flavour/aroma hops the same? do you get a clear taste of the amarillo? i'm just gathering some ideas.. ;-)
dazzled, doused in gin..

barneey

Post by barneey » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:39 am

jaroporter wrote:hey, this looks lovely. when you rebrew it will you keep the flavour/aroma hops the same? do you get a clear taste of the amarillo? i'm just gathering some ideas.. ;-)
Although the brew is very well rounded in its present form, it could do with a little more in the hop flavour department. I did experiment with finings on this batch so don`t have any reference to what the un-fined beer would have been like.

For the next batch I`m going to up the the late edition hops to increase the citrus element.

At the end of fermentation, I`ll rack off a few bottles worth, for the Orval experiment, fin the rest then keg it.

If the additional late hops dont have the required effect, for batch 3 I`ll try a dry hop addition, by batch 3 I might even get the colour spot on :). (Batch 3 will also depend on how the Orval experiment goes)

I`m afraid if I tinker with the brew too much, I might just mess the whole batch up having said that once I have the required result / finish I`ll probadly play around with different yeasts.

For the first brew I also used "Tesco`s" 17p (2ltr) water (bought 40 bottles / strange look at checkout), it was analysed & the results were posted in the water forum, just needs afew mineral additions and its good to go. I`m still playing around with my own tap water profile but most of the tap water treatment relies heavily on CRS, having checked out mabrungard water treatment software I might be changing the acid treatment of said tap water. But for the next few trial batches it will definately be Tesco`s best.

Cheers

barneey

Post by barneey » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Just brewed this again and have made a couple of alterations, increased the Magnum to 20g, the Amarillo + Citra now are both 50g each.

Had to sub some carapils for crystal. Now using pale choc malt so hope the colour will be lighter.

Orval already to go in a week or 2 :)

seymour

Post by seymour » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:40 pm

Well played, mate.

barneey

Post by barneey » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:42 pm

Just been bottling this up, 2 kegs unfined + 9 Orval laced bottles. Colour is getting lighter but not red :(

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:41 pm

Have you tried carafa 3 for getting a red ale? I'm having a mild now, it has 250g of carafa 3 in 50l of beer, looks pretty red to me, it also has crystal and amber malt but I'm sure it's the carafa that gets the colour.

You could add food colouring, but that would feel like cheating [-X