Dartmoor Brewery's Jail Ale

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Dartmoor Brewery's Jail Ale

Post by Troutman47 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi all, any one have a recipe for Dartmoor Brewery's Jail Ale?

Lovely beer, was drinking it in one of my favourite pubs, The Red Lion,Exbourne near Okehampton.
It's one of two pubs in Devon that has NO pumps on the bar, they generally have 3 ales on the go, Tribute, Legend and Jail.
If you want lager or cider it comes out of a bottle!The food they serve is great too!!

Any way, if any one can help with a recipe for Jail I'd appreciate it.

Cheers all!

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Dartmoor Brewery's Jail Ale

Post by seymour » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:18 pm

I have not seen a recipe for Dartmoor Jail Ale, which is 4.8% ABV...

However, I do have a recipe for Dartmoor Best Bitter:
OG: 1038
ABV: 3.8%
IBU: 30
COLOUR: 12°SRM/24°EBC
GRAINBILL: 86% Pale, 14% Crystal Malt
HOPS: Fuggles, Goldings, Progress (60 min), Goldings (15 min)

Dartmoor doesn't even appear to brew the "Best Bitter" any more. It's entirely possible they simply increased the original gravity of their flagship brew to 1048 and renamed it "Jail Ale." Everything else about the recipe seems to fit, so it's worth a try at least.

Belter

Post by Belter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:39 pm

Did Dartmoor eventually lose the war to St Austell over use of the name?

jimp2003

Post by jimp2003 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:41 pm

Its a nice pint. Have you tried dropping a note to the brewer to see if you can get any info?

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks for the replies guys,
That recipes is definitely worth ago, I can put it into Beer Alchemy and adjust a slider until I get to 1048.

Haven't heard anything about the name, it's all gone very quiet! Dartmoor is in Devon though, not Cornwall! :roll:

Hadn't thought about dropping the brewery an email, I was talking to a mate about Jail last night and this has been my first port of call.

Cheers all! :beer:

Belter

Post by Belter » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:08 pm

Yeah St Austell wanted to brew it for some reason. They had a legal dispute about

seymour

Post by seymour » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:54 pm

What is the legal basis for a dispute over English ale containing pale and crystal malts with Fuggles and Goldings hops?! Sometimes I get the feeling you guys have that substance flowing from springs in the ground. :)

jonnyt

Post by jonnyt » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Well of late we have had lots of brown coloured stuff coming out of the ground. Sewage from all the flooding we have had in the past 12 months.
We are also unusually still in the grip of Winter, most plants are 4 weeks plus behind at the moment.

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:57 am

seymour wrote:I have not seen a recipe for Dartmoor Jail Ale, which is 4.8% ABV...

Dartmoor doesn't even appear to brew the "Best Bitter" any more. It's entirely possible they simply increased the original gravity of their flagship brew to 1048 and renamed it "Jail Ale." Everything else about the recipe seems to fit, so it's worth a try at least.

Hi Seymour,
I've put this recipe into Beer Alchemy but what is your opinion on the split for the hops?
Initially I've just gone for an equal split to 30 EBU's.

What do you reckon?

Cheers :beer:

seymour

Post by seymour » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:21 pm

Troutman47 wrote:
seymour wrote:I have not seen a recipe for Dartmoor Jail Ale, which is 4.8% ABV...

Hi Seymour,
I've put this recipe into Beer Alchemy but what is your opinion on the split for the hops?
Initially I've just gone for an equal split to 30 EBU's.

What do you reckon?

Yeah, good idea. I don't have any better ones, in any case. All three are commonly used as kettle hops in similar English ales, so it's certainly a logical first attempt.

Good luck!
-Seymour

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks Seymour, I'll let you know how it goes.

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:45 pm

seymour wrote:What is the legal basis for a dispute over English ale containing pale and crystal malts with Fuggles and Goldings hops?! Sometimes I get the feeling you guys have that substance flowing from springs in the ground. :)
OK so a bit of a UK geography lesson in case you are not familiar. Cornwall is the county at the south western tip of the UK where myself and Belter both live and we grew up close to a town called St. Austell which is the most populous town in the county. Within the town we have one of the oldest and largest breweries in the south west of England called St. Austell Brewery founded in 1851.

Dartmoor and the brewery of the same name are located in Devon which is the neighbouring county to Cornwall. Cornwall and Devon have a long fought rivalry because Cornwall invented the pasty, pretty much educated the world in mining practices and we know which way round you should apply clotted cream and jam to a scone. Devon on the other hand has done very little since sending pilgrims to America.

St. Austell brewery has been producing Dartmoor Best Bitter and Dartmoor brewery has been getting a bit annoyed about it. But that's Devon for you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-15285521

seymour

Post by seymour » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:22 pm

Fascinating. No, I didn't know any of that.

Troutman47

Post by Troutman47 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:32 pm

I think Matt is a bit biased here, undoubtably because he's Cornish and nothing to do with webbed feet!

As I understand it Devon invented the pasty a looong time before the Cornish and it is they who can't put the jam and cream on a scone the correct way.
They were ruled by the Welsh some 1000 years ago and about 10 of them speak a version of the Welsh language but call it Cornish.
You can now see similarities between the Welsh and Cornish with their nationalistic ideas!

Devon is also the birthplace of Sir Francis Drake who was born in Tavistock, a stannary town in the heart of Dartmoor National Park.

Interestingly, it seems the Cornish are descendants from Devon!

'Devon has its historical origins in classical antiquity and derives its name from Dumnonia, which, during the British Iron Age and Roman Britain, was the homeland of the Dumnonii Celts. The Anglo-Saxon settlement of Britain resulted in the partial assimilation of Dumnonia into the Kingdom of Wessex during the eighth and ninth centuries, resulting in emigration of some Celts to Cornwall and Domnonee (in what is now Brittany). Devon was constituted as a shire of the Kingdom of England thereafter, with the River Tamar forming the western boundary with Cornwall as set by King Æthelstan in 936.'

Famous Devonians
Charles Babbage (1792-1871) born in Totnes, english inventor and mathematician. A pioneer underlying the principles of modern digital electronic computers.

Sue Barker (b.1956 in Paignton) english tennis player.

Sir Reginald Theodore Blomfield (1856-1942) born in Devon, english architect. His designs were noted for eloborate style which included the Menin Gale Memorial at Ypres, Belgium dedicated to WW1 dead (1926).

Henry Chadwick (1824-1908) born in Exeter, american journalist.

Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller Christie (1890-1976) born in Torquay , english author, dramatist and "Queen of Crime".

William Kingdon Clifford (1845-1879) born in Exeter, british philosopher and mathematician who developed the theory of biquaternions and linked them to general associative algebras. Wrote On the Space-Theory of Matter (1870). He was elected a fellow of the Royal Society of London.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834) born in Otter St. Mary, english poet and critic.

Peter Cook (1937-1995) born in Torquay, english actor won Tony award for Beyond the Fridge (1963).

Samuel Cousins (1801-1887) born in Exeter, english engraver.

Henry Austin Dobson (1840-1921) born in Plymouth, english poet, essayist.

Sir Francis Drake (1538?-1596) born near Tavistock, english navigator, explorer and mayor of Plymouth in 1581. He was knighted aboard the Golden Hind by Queen Elizabeth in 1581 being hailed as the first englishman to circumnavigate the world.

Thomas D'Urfey (1653-1723) born in Exeter, english dramatist and songwriter.

John Endecott (1588-1665) born in Devonshire, American colonial figure, governor of MA.

Michael Foot (1913-2010) born in Plymouth, english politician, journalist.

Trevor Francis (b.1954 in Plymouth) english soccer player.

John Gay (1685-1732) born in Barnstaple, english poet, dramatist wrote Beggar's Opera (1728).

Sir Humphrey Gilbert (1539?-1583) born in Compton, english navigator, soldier and explorer. Half brother to Sir Walter Raleigh

Richard Greene (1918-1985) born in Plymouth, was an english actor known for his role as Robin Hood in the original TV series Robin Hood.

Nicholas Hilliard (1547-1619) born in Exeter, english miniaturist artist.

Frederick Webb Hodge (1864-1956) born in Plymouth, english anthropologist.

Mary Howitt (1799-1888) born in Coleford, english translator, childrens author.

Rachel Kempson (1910-2003) born in Dartmouth, english actress who starred in film Out of Africa (1985) and TV series Lorna Doone (1990), Jane Eyre (1971), Elizabeth R (1971) She is mother of Vanessa, Lynn Redgrave, Corin and married to Sir Michael Redgrave.

Charles Kingsley (1819-1875) born in Holne, english clergyman, author he wrote historical romances Hypatia (1853), West ward Ho (1855) and children's book The Water Babies (1863).

Duke John Churchill Marlborough (1650-1722) born in Devonshire, english army officer, statesman.

Thomas Newcomen (1663-1729) born in Dartmouth, english inventor. He invented the first practical steam engine (atomospheric) in 1712.

Sir Walter Raleigh (1552?-1618) born at Hayes Farm near Budleigh, english explorer.

Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792) born in Plympton, english artist.

John or 'Jack' Russell (1795-1883) born in Dartmouth, english curate at Swimbridge. He became famous for breeding small smooth-coated terriers which became known as the Jack Russell.

Captain Robert Falcon Scott (1868-1912) born nr. Stoke Damerel, Antarctic Explorer. A British Naval Officer and explorer who led the famed, ill fated second expedition to reach the South Pole.

Baron John Passmore Widgery (1911-1981) born in Devonshire, english judge.

Famous Cornish people

John Carter, smuggler and self styled "King of Prussia"

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:13 am

:D :D :D :D

This is exactly what I was talking about. I'm sure this argument could go on for years.