Founders All Day IPA?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Clibit
Under the Table

Re: Founders All Day IPA?

Post by Clibit » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:29 pm

There's a clone recipe here ( a great site for recipes btw):

http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew-re ... rew-recipe

Size: 5 Gallons
Target ABV: 4.7%
Target IBUs: 42

Malts
8 lbs Pale 2-row
12 oz. Crystal 40
8 oz. Carapils

Hops
1/2 oz. Simcoe 13%a, 60 minutes
1/2 oz. Simcoe 13%a, 20 minutes
1/2 oz. Amarillo 8%a, 20 minutes
1/2 oz. Amarillo 8%a, at flameout
Dry-Hop: 1/2 oz. Simcoe, 1/2 oz. Amarillo

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale or White Labs WLP001 California Yeast

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:52 pm

Clibit wrote:There's a clone recipe here ( a great site for recipes btw):

http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew-re ... rew-recipe

Size: 5 Gallons
Target ABV: 4.7%
Target IBUs: 42

Malts
8 lbs Pale 2-row
12 oz. Crystal 40
8 oz. Carapils

Hops
1/2 oz. Simcoe 13%a, 60 minutes
1/2 oz. Simcoe 13%a, 20 minutes
1/2 oz. Amarillo 8%a, 20 minutes
1/2 oz. Amarillo 8%a, at flameout
Dry-Hop: 1/2 oz. Simcoe, 1/2 oz. Amarillo

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale or White Labs WLP001 California Yeast
I'm sure that'll brew a decent American-style IPA, but that recipe in no way resembles Founder's own statements about their grainbill nor hops. Brewers can get much closer using details posted earlier in this thread, the unmalted adjunct grains are a big part of this beer's profile.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:25 am

Well you Americans need to sort yourselves out and get your stories straight then don't ya?! :-
Last edited by Clibit on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:56 am

Hang on, the recipe above is not THAT far away from the description of the brewer..

"I can say (I think) that we use corn, oats, wheat and barley to 4.7% abv, and hop with crystal, simcoe and amarillo to 42 ibus."

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:45 am

Seymour nars the crack like, I'm sticking with his recipe

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:12 am

I know he does

:wink:

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:37 pm

Tell you what, I rather like the look of the Craftpours recipe. Now, it may well not get all that close to the commercial version but I like it because they use those nice cohumolone hops so theoretically anyhow the bitterness should be smooth. In a normal strenght IPA I would personally stay away from that much crystal malt but for a low gravity beer I thinks it's a good idea because it will jack up the terminal gravity a bit and make the beer drink bigger. The other thing I might consider is switching the yeast to an English strain that will attenuate a bit less like Ringwood for instance (if you dare). :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:53 am

Barley Water wrote:Tell you what, I rather like the look of the Craftpours recipe. Now, it may well not get all that close to the commercial version but I like it because they use those nice cohumolone hops so theoretically anyhow the bitterness should be smooth. In a normal strenght IPA I would personally stay away from that much crystal malt but for a low gravity beer I thinks it's a good idea because it will jack up the terminal gravity a bit and make the beer drink bigger. The other thing I might consider is switching the yeast to an English strain that will attenuate a bit less like Ringwood for instance (if you dare). :D
I like the look of that recipe too, as I said, it'll certainly brew a pleasant American-style session IPA. But if the point of this thread is to brew something as close as possible to Founders All Day IPA, that recipe doesn't contain the ingredients stated by the Founder's brewer. Also, I'm hopelessly addicted to Ringwood yeast lately (the true brewery dual-strain, not the problematic Wyeast version), but I know for sure Founders uses boring ol' Chico yeast (Sierra Nevada/US-05/Wyeast 1056/WLP001, etc). Of course the same beer fermented with Ringwood yeast would be vastly better.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:09 am

Where did you get the Ringwood brewery yeast from, Seymour?

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:49 pm

It could have come from a conditioned bottle, but knowing Seymour I bet it'll have come direct from a brewer.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Supercooper

Post by Supercooper » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Wlp001 is perfect for this beer. It lets the hops shine, and finishes around 1008, dry enough to enhance the bite, which IMO is what this beer is all about. The dry hops should not be scrimped upon, a bit more is a good thing.

Supercooper

Post by Supercooper » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:49 pm

That said, I just brewed a hop burst recipe, and that looks like it'll finish around 1010.

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:37 pm

Jocky wrote:It could have come from a conditioned bottle, but knowing Seymour I bet it'll have come direct from a brewer.
You're right on both counts, Jocky! I got my Ringwood yeast in a bottle from Monkeybrew, who received it directly from the Ringwood brewer. I keep using it over and over, without any perceivable drift so far. I love it. Oh, and unlike the Wyeast single strain, the real Ringwood dual-strain is very, very attenuative.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:56 pm

So is it better than the Marble yeast?!

Supercooper

Post by Supercooper » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:21 am

Seymour. The latest zymurgy has a recipe for this brew. It's got Munich malt and dark wheat malt, plus a bit more two row. Hops work out at 46 IBU. I'm happy with your recipe, although a bit of a better head might be achieved with the Munich malt.