Recreating Boddingtons

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Re: Recreating Boddingtons

Post by BrannigansLove » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:39 am

Having grown up on Boddies, I'd like to give this a go. What sort of water profile did you go for, and how long did you dry hop for?

bigtoe

Post by bigtoe » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:30 am

Water...not got into the science of that part yet as its hard to get the details for the aquifer thats under Manchester, i just used the local Stockport corporation pop which is water from the lake district (so reasonably soft) and adjusted PH with gypsum and buffer down to 5.3 after removing the chlorine etc.
I dry hopped for 4 days, after researching there is no need to dry hop for longer as the oils are usually all released within 72hrs. That said Boddingtons dry hopped to the cask which may have stood for 2 weeks before serving...so the choice is yours on that one.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:30 pm

BUMP.
Did anyone get any further with this?

Billb

Post by Billb » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:40 pm

Not from my end. I would love to come up with a definitive recipe, but there seems to be too few hard facts left. So we're back to trial and error and a lot of people's memories of what it used to taste like. Which of course varies depending on when you remember it from. Tricky. :-(

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:56 pm

Billb wrote:Not from my end. I would love to come up with a definitive recipe, but there seems to be too few hard facts left. So we're back to trial and error and a lot of people's memories of what it used to taste like. Which of course varies depending on when you remember it from. Tricky. :-(
That's a shame. Don't know if you have seen this thread? I think I might try this out as I have inverts 1/2/3 so will replace the golden sugar with invert 1.

hichaechoc
Sober

Post by hichaechoc » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:25 pm

[quote=patto1ro post_id=795123 time=1466763152 user_id=274]
[quote="f00b4r"][quote="patto1ro"]
Looking at a brewing record from 1989. It has Fuggles, Goldings, Whitbread Goldings Varieties, Styrian Goldings, Northern Brewers and something abbreviated to Bx.[/quote]

If that's an ex pat with a penchant for historical beers and mild, would you have access to other brewing records of the beer or any of the original brewers themselves?[/quote]
Yes and yes, I do have access to more records. In 1939 the hops were Oregon, Styrian and English. In 1970, all English.
[/quote]

Any chance Ron that you could share a little more detail from your records please? I'm getting on a bit and would love to brew the brew I enjoyed as a youth while I'm still able. I'd love it if you could share all the information that is in your possession with regards to the 1970 Bodds pertinent to brewing a copy.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:33 pm

hichaechoc wrote:
patto1ro wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:12 am
f00b4r wrote: If that's an ex pat with a penchant for historical beers and mild, would you have access to other brewing records of the beer or any of the original brewers themselves?
Yes and yes, I do have access to more records. In 1939 the hops were Oregon, Styrian and English. In 1970, all English.
Any chance Ron that you could share a little more detail from your records please? I'm getting on a bit and would love to brew the brew I enjoyed as a youth while I'm still able. I'd love it if you could share all the information that is in your possession with regards to the 1970 Bodds pertinent to brewing a copy.
If you check Ron’s blog he has posted a load of recipes since that post for Boddingtons IP (as it was known internally at the brewery) at varioupoints over the last century. His books are an absolute mine of information too for all kinds of beers and periods if you are feeling nostalgic or wanting to try some historical beers.

hichaechoc
Sober

Post by hichaechoc » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks for the steer in the right direction f00b4r - this is exactly what I was looking for.
https://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/201 ... on-ip.html
And thanks Ron for posting it - I will be searching your blog for further gems.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:14 am

hichaechoc wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:25 pm
patto1ro wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:12 am
f00b4r wrote: If that's an ex pat with a penchant for historical beers and mild, would you have access to other brewing records of the beer or any of the original brewers themselves?
The hop abbreviated to Bx is likely to be Bramling Cross

RobP
Steady Drinker

Post by RobP » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:50 am

I'm not sure what the fuss about Boddingtons bitter is all about, it always seemed fairly unremarkable to me and I did drink quite a bit of it. Anyway...

There's a list of recipes posted on Ron Pattinson's blog here:

http://www.unholymess.com/blog/lets-brew/comment-page-1

ctrl f and search for "boddington IP" & you'll find them. As stated elsewhere in this thread, Boddington IP was the brewery name for the bitter.

hichaechoc
Sober

Post by hichaechoc » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:22 pm

[quote=RobP post_id=838609 time=1541152258 user_id=19330]
I'm not sure what the fuss about Boddingtons bitter is all about, it always seemed fairly unremarkable to me and I did drink quite a bit of it. Anyway...

[/quote]

Thanks, that's a resource I didn't know of. The fuss about Boddingtons for me is that it was my favourite brew in the early seventies when I first started frequenting pubs. Dryer, more bitter and just different from the rest. A great session beer that I'd like to taste again although I note from other posts that it may not be something my skills/equipment can recreate.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:49 pm

I only started drinking in the mid 90s so my recollection of good boddingtons was never of the actual drink, as that was rubbish, only of Melanie Sykes :) But the history of it when it was supposedly good and fairly unique is very interesting imo. My favourite cask beers now tend to be pale, with an assertive bitterness and dryness so I think I'd like the 60s version of it.

I'd probably try a step mash at homebrew level for maximum fermentability, even if that isn't what they did back in the day.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:25 pm

RobP wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:50 am

ctrl f and search for "boddington IP" & you'll find them. As stated elsewhere in this thread, Boddington IP was the brewery name for the bitter.

When did you drink it?

RobP
Steady Drinker

Post by RobP » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:43 pm

Clibit wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:25 pm
RobP wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:50 am

When did you drink it?
I was 18 in 1978. So through the 80s into the 90s.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:54 pm

Hanglow wrote:I only started drinking in the mid 90s so my recollection of good boddingtons was never of the actual drink, as that was rubbish, only of Melanie Sykes :) But the history of it when it was supposedly good and fairly unique is very interesting imo. My favourite cask beers now tend to be pale, with an assertive bitterness and dryness so I think I'd like the 60s version of it.

I'd probably try a step mash at homebrew level for maximum fermentability, even if that isn't what they did back in the day.
They did have good advertising :)

I wonder if an overnight mash might be perfect for getting that fermentability.