Shipyard American pale ale recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Shipyard American pale ale recipe

Post by sbond10 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:38 am

Tried a pint of this shipyard americian pale ale and it was lovely. Grape fruit and citrus smells coming out the glass. Can't find much about it anyone any ideas ?

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Re: Shipyard American pale ale recipe

Post by Dads_Ale » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:46 pm

Sorry don't have a recipe but tried a pint yesterday in Weymouth and definitely gets the thumbs up...that was until the barmaid changed the keg and connected it to an Amstell one!!!!!!

GeeThom

Post by GeeThom » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Found this on internet Link https://shipyard.com/content/american-pale-ale

FIRST BREWED:
April 2014
AVAILABLE:
Year-round
MALT STYLE:
2-Row British Pale Ale, Whole Wheat
YEAST:
Top-Fermenting English
HOPS:
Challenger, Chinook, Citra, Polaris, Huell Melon, Cascade, Centennial
COLOR:
Golden
IBUS:
OG:
ABV:
4.5%

One or two hops in there!

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:35 pm

That's one exspensive beer with all them hops

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:56 pm

I went to asda today, and noticed the shipyard beer...... But all that' was left, was the cardboard trays the bottles come in.

So It will have to wait till next weeks shopping, and maybe they will have some for me to try
To Busy To Add,

GeeThom

Post by GeeThom » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:26 pm

I tried some about 12 months ago and can't for the life of me remember anything great about it so will keep my eyes open for another bottle and try again.

PS just made a NZ pale ale with NZ hops, Nelson Sauvin, Dr Rudi, Green Bullet, Motueka and Cascade
(supposed copy of Tempest' Long White Cloud with hops advised by their owner/Brewer - IBU35)

That was another expensive beer but tastes really good. Will compare to Shipyard if I can get one.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Found this on perfectpint.co.uk:

American Pale Ale (Keg)
Shipyard Brewing Co
Type Pale Ale
ABV 4.5%
Brewed at Marston's Wolverhampton brewery, based on a Shipyard recipe that features four US hops – Columbus, Centennial, Cascade and Chinook.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:27 pm

Cheers folks ill keep looking for more info

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:55 am

You Brits know that Shipyard is your ex-pat Alan Pugsley, former Ringwood brewer, right? Here are some essential secrets to those Shipyard (and ahem...Ringwood) brews:

1. super-attenuative, dual-strain Ringwood yeast, top-cropped and open-fermented warmish just like on your side of the pond, this is a MUST
2. 14% Torrified Wheat in the grainbill to preserve some body and mouthfeel, as a balance against said beast of a yeast, also a must, or else you'll have thin/watery beer
3. 90 min mash at 153°F/67°C
4. 90 min boil, hops typically added like this: 60% at beginning of boil, 22% at 15 min remaining, 13% at flame-out, 5% as dry-hops

Go for it, I can't wait to hear how you do!

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:31 am

Cheers Seymour just ordered some amarillo hops not sure why tho

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:52 am

With Shipyard beers being brewed by Marstons in the UK, will they use the Ringwood yeast?

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:06 pm

Clibit wrote:With Shipyard beers being brewed by Marstons in the UK, will they use the Ringwood yeast?
Yes, definitely. Ringwood Brewery itself has been owned by Marstons for years. Every interview Pugsley has ever given, every brewery he helped build and/or consults for, is ALL ABOUT the Ringwood yeast. It's a stubborn British thing to him, and flies in the face of major American craft brewing trends, but love-it-or-hate-it, it's the main determining factor in his beers' flavour.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:36 pm

The Marstons Shipyard pale ale is a pretty decent pint, not earth shattering, but nice. I had a temporary lapse of memory about Ringwood belonging to the Marstons empire.

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:01 pm

My experience with Ringwood is that folks either love or hate it (I am a member of the former camp by the way). I wish I could get my mitts on some of the "real" dual strain yeast as I have a couple of recipes I use the commercial White Labs version on (which I know is not the "official" dual strain). By the way, that stuff can burn you if you are not careful with it (it can just stall out on you) and it is also capable of producing some "butter bombs" which is one of the main reasons the haters over here stay away from it. I am one of those crazies that thinks British ales should show some yeast character, in fact I rather insist on it. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:08 pm

Clibit wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:36 pm
The Marstons Shipyard pale ale is a pretty decent pint, not earth shattering, but nice. I had a temporary lapse of memory about Ringwood belonging to the Marstons empire.
It's a nice pint I think. People rave about in Wetherspoons on keg but to me it tastes much better chilled down in the fridge and drank straight from the bottle. Tastes a bit bland in spoons to me..