Gorse flowers

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
McMullan

Re: Gorse flowers

Post by McMullan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:48 pm

jaroporter wrote:
McMullan wrote:I've only done a juniper ale so far, but it aged into a really nice beer.
any recipe secrets or tips you could give for that? :D i'd like to experiment a bit but it'd be cool to have a tested base to go from
Choose whatever mash ingredients you prefer. I used Heidelberg, 'pilsner', as a base. Mash on the low side to get a nice fermentable wort, bit like a Saison. Take it easy with the juniper berries, about 20-25g (19L batch) crushed lightly, using a mortar and pestle, added late in the boil. Goes well with freshly crushed coriander seeds. Ferment it like a Saison and go with a yeast strain that's happy finishing fermentation at about 28*C, after vigorous primary is done, a couple of days after pitching at a more sensible temperature. It definitely needs to age for at least a few months. The longer the better. It's different, but went down with few complaints. If you want to use hops too, reduce the juniper to about 15g. It works well with a little Aurora. Have a look at this guy's blog. It's actually very good. What he's done off his own bat in his spare time is impressive. If you want to use a ‘Kveik' yeast strain, but can't get one, PM me.

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:52 pm

Clibit wrote:Heather, gorse and bog myrtle all grow in the same kind of locations - peaty heathland - I think.
Heather and gorse are found together, acidic soil heathland type shrubs. Bog myrtle likes much wetter areas where water moves/flows, not really in bog areas with no water flow.

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:56 pm

McMullan wrote:
jaroporter wrote:
McMullan wrote:I've only done a juniper ale so far, but it aged into a really nice beer.
any recipe secrets or tips you could give for that? :D i'd like to experiment a bit but it'd be cool to have a tested base to go from
Choose whatever mash ingredients you prefer. I used Heidelberg, 'pilsner', as a base. Mash on the low side to get a nice fermentable wort, bit like a Saison. Take it easy with the juniper berries, about 20-25g (19L batch) crushed lightly, using a mortar and pestle, added late in the boil. Goes well with freshly crushed coriander seeds. Ferment it like a Saison and go with a yeast strain that's happy finishing fermentation at about 28*C, after vigorous primary is done, a couple of days after pitching at a more sensible temperature. It definitely needs to age for at least a few months. The longer the better. It's different, but went down with few complaints. If you want to use hops too, reduce the juniper to about 15g. It works well with a little Aurora. Have a look at this guy's blog. It's actually very good. What he's done off his own bat in his spare time is impressive. If you want to use a ‘Kveik' yeast strain, but can't get one, PM me.
I've done spruce ale and porter, heather, bog myrtle ale and used mugwort, yarrow, meadowsweet too in brews. Let me know if you want a recipe.

The juniper saison sounds brill! Might give that a go....

ManseMasher

Post by ManseMasher » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:50 pm

The gorse/Citra soup is clearing nicely. Thursday is bottling day. One batch will be bottled with it, the rest without. Be interesting to taste the results....
Attachments
20160327_125430.jpg
Last edited by ManseMasher on Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:59 pm

Really looking forward to hearing how this goes.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:52 pm

McMullan, cheers for that info. that blog is a fantastic read, lost a fair bit of the afternoon to that! it's the traditional techniques that are so fascinating and possibly useful..

Peatbogbrewer, i love the sound of some of those, especially the spruce ale/porter! at the risk of totally derailing this thread into general herb-brewing i'd love to see a recipe or two on what you thought worked best.

ManseMasher, you may have inspired me to go attack them gorse bushes again, that soup looks vibrant and it'll be cool to hear how it turns out!
dazzled, doused in gin..

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:37 pm

jaroporter wrote:McMullan, cheers for that info. that blog is a fantastic read, lost a fair bit of the afternoon to that! it's the traditional techniques that are so fascinating and possibly useful..

Peatbogbrewer, i love the sound of some of those, especially the spruce ale/porter! at the risk of totally derailing this thread into general herb-brewing i'd love to see a recipe or two on what you thought worked best.

ManseMasher, you may have inspired me to go attack them gorse bushes again, that soup looks vibrant and it'll be cool to hear how it turns out!
If you have a gander at the link below for a recent thread for gruit and bog myrtle extract/steeped grain ales.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=74624

I'm sure these won't derail the original thread, but will add to the overall herby character...

Spruce Porter:
3.5 kg Maris O
250g crystal
125g amber
180g black
125g wheat
mash 65degs for 1hr
40g EKG @ 60
15g fresh spruce tips @ 5
Notts danstar yeast at 19 degs

Heather Ale:
Collect 1 carrier bag of flowering heather tips.

2kg lager malt
1.5kg maris otter
200g wheat malt
125g munich
mash at 65 degs for 1 hour
28g EKG @ 60
1/3 bag of heather at 20
1/3 @ 5
7g bog myrtle @ 5
1/3 heather having wort strained through before into FV and chilled
Notts danstar at 19 degs
(heard there is an hallucinogenic fungus called fogg that can grow on heather in areas of limited air flow, I've not had problem with this but then again i pick mine on top of a hill, apparently the picts actually went for foggy heather for their brews so no wonder they were always up for a fight)

ManseMasher

Post by ManseMasher » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:51 pm

It's been in the bottle 24 hours now. Had a quick taste whilst bottling - if the flavour and aroma lasts I could be on to something!!

ManseMasher

Post by ManseMasher » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:48 pm

Only 3 days in the bottle - very clear, so temptation has just got the better of me! A slight sound of carbonation upon opening, very little head yet but already some lacing on the glass. Still tastes raw, as expected, but the aroma!! Fruit cocktail springs to mind, in a good way. When this has gone through my normal 2 in the bottle at fermentation temp, then 2 cooler, this, I think, is going to be a belter. This weekend is going to be spent harvesting the lovely little yellow taste bombs ready for more experiments. Very happy with the results so far!

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:01 pm

ManseMasher wrote:Only 3 days in the bottle - very clear, so temptation has just got the better of me! A slight sound of carbonation upon opening, very little head yet but already some lacing on the glass. Still tastes raw, as expected, but the aroma!! Fruit cocktail springs to mind, in a good way. When this has gone through my normal 2 in the bottle at fermentation temp, then 2 cooler, this, I think, is going to be a belter. This weekend is going to be spent harvesting the lovely little yellow taste bombs ready for more experiments. Very happy with the results so far!

Getting any coconut from the gorse?

ManseMasher

Post by ManseMasher » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:15 pm

Definitely there - I just hope it's not subliminal! Overall very pleased with the experiment so far, but the proof will be reports from Messrs Dads_Ale and McMullan, and yourself if you would like a bottle!

stevej383

Post by stevej383 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:43 pm

Clibit wrote:Really looking forward to hearing how this goes.
We need to taste it we have none him long enough [-o< free ale

stevej383

Post by stevej383 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:45 pm

Thats what you get for not reading the whole thread missed off the list :evil:

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:55 pm

ManseMasher wrote:Definitely there - I just hope it's not subliminal! Overall very pleased with the experiment so far, but the proof will be reports from Messrs Dads_Ale and McMullan, and yourself if you would like a bottle!
Of course I'd love a bottle but I'm in the red in my Manse account. :D

I'll get some gorse....

ManseMasher

Post by ManseMasher » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:04 pm

My interest rates aren't that bad - one on the way to both of you once I know it's worth sending!