Gorse flowers

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Firefly

Re: Gorse flowers

Post by Firefly » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:50 pm

Got me thinking of adding it to a stout. I do love the coconut smell it gives, but it would be interesting to see if you get any of the flavour characteristics coming through. Keep us posted MM.

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:18 pm

It's always been called gorse down here in Cornwall as far as I know.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:27 pm

gorse wine is lovely, though given the pain i went through picking it i wanted anything i put it in to be a guaranteed good result! i think the scent of gorse is quite delicate so wonder if boiling it would be a problem, or if you could extract flavour from it like that.. ? kinda like flavour and aroma hops.. ? loving the idea of a golden gorse ale. the sun is out but i really don't want to go pick them!!
dazzled, doused in gin..

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:39 pm

Could you use gorse the way heather is used in Fraoch?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:18 pm

I think they can be treated as hops. Add them anywhere between mash and keg. Way back in the pre-hop days all manner of local botanicals were used, apparently. In terms of no hops, I've only done a juniper ale so far, but it aged into a really nice beer. Very different, but nice.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:23 pm

I wonder what these folks did?

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cromarty-w ... on/276601/

- Cromarty Wild Bush Gorse Flower Saison.

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:41 pm

I'd love to know how that would turn out. That smell of gorse is incredible; I can really see that going well.

I'd looked into getting some bog myrtle to maybe try a fraoch, but it was bloody expensive stuff!!

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:06 pm

Notlaw wrote:I'd love to know how that would turn out. That smell of gorse is incredible; I can really see that going well.

I'd looked into getting some bog myrtle to maybe try a fraoch, but it was bloody expensive stuff!!
Bog myrtle grows in the Trough of Bowland, apparently, Notlaw.

http://www.herbal-supplement-resource.c ... le-img.jpg

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:12 pm

Clibit wrote: Bog myrtle grows in the Trough of Bowland, apparently, Notlaw.

http://www.herbal-supplement-resource.c ... le-img.jpg
Ooh, I was just through there on Saturday to see if it was dried out enough for the bikes. I'm all over that now. Loads of gorse as well obviously... the place reeks of it!!

Cheers for that Clibit.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:15 pm

Heather, gorse and bog myrtle all grow in the same kind of locations - peaty heathland - I think.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:30 pm

McMullan wrote:I've only done a juniper ale so far, but it aged into a really nice beer.
any recipe secrets or tips you could give for that? :D i'd like to experiment a bit but it'd be cool to have a tested base to go from
dazzled, doused in gin..

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:03 pm

If you play golf as badly as l do,you become immune to gorse spikes after a while!
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

ManseMasher

Post by ManseMasher » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:38 am

micmacmoc wrote:I think it's called 'broom' here in Cornwall. Coconut flavour? Not for me thanks! Did you get scratched hands?
I used a pair of abseling gloves with reinforced leather palms, so I was fine! Still squeezing broken tips out of my legs though. The resultant soup is quite cloudy still, but I have never been overly bothered about cloudy beer (pewter tankard sorts that out). If the aroma coming from it is present in the finished article, I think this could be a pleasant surprise! I'll let you know how it goes, and if it's any good Mr McMullan sir, I shall send you one....

stumpyb

Post by stumpyb » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:12 pm

I made a gorse beer about 5 years ago. It turned out really well and made it again but cant remember what it tasted like. Have not brewed for a few years due to lack of time but will dig out the book and see when I added them. Im sure I added the flowers straight into the boil but cant remember the timings.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:21 pm

broom is similar to gorse but without the spikes. i've read it's likely we got the word for the sweeping device 'cause people used to tie the branches in bunches to sweep with. heather was used in the same way, which may explain why i've [not often] heard heather called broom also..
dazzled, doused in gin..