smash recipes

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
brewpete
Piss Artist

smash recipes

Post by brewpete » Tue May 08, 2018 2:38 pm

hi has anyone got any tried and tested recipes for this method am looking at single hop additons as well biab 60 min mash n 60 min boil

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: smash recipes

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Tue May 08, 2018 3:42 pm

There is not a huge amount in terms of recipes: you can only use diastatic malts like pale or lager malt and lightly kilned malts such as Vienna / mild malt and light Munich. Couple them with a hop that can standalone and you are done.

There is some extra interplay when we introduce dominant yeasts, but they usually dominate the malt selection too, making it a moot point.

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue May 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Yep, yeast is the big variable. With a base Pale malt and choosing the appropriate hopping for the style you could do an acceptable SMaSH in many styles, British Golden Ale, American Pale, Lager, Kolsch, Saison, Dampfbier (All malt Hefeweisse), American Steam Beer, Biere De Garde, Farmhouse Ale, Kveik, Barley Wine, IPA. I'm sure there are others that I've missed.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Tue May 08, 2018 4:16 pm

so using a single hop would you use say cascade at about 8 aa for a single addition at 60min for an american ipa

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue May 08, 2018 6:16 pm

I've always taken SMaSH to be single malt and single hop variety rather than one hop addition. If you want the challenge of using only one addition, I estimate a 70g "Hop-Burst" addition with 10 minutes to go will give a balance of bittering, flavour and aroma, to around 40 IBUs. Or you could use a Steep/Whirlpool addition for 20 minutes at the end of the boil, of around 85g, to achieve a similar result.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue May 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Here's what I'm about to do, which just happens to be a "SMaSH". Recipe is for 1 gallon so will need multiplying by whatever. Method is a bit open (I'll not be following it), the method you want to use will do the job. The disadvantage is it's quite strong (6%) and the quantity of hops will demand a long maturation (3 months recommended). It's a Pale Ale, but not an "IPA" which is why I chose it as a "taster" for this style and to avoid the enormous hopping rates in an "IPA" (talking about an in-your-face "historic" IPA, not one of the lame modern examples).

http://www.durdenparkbeer.org.uk/Recipe ... shers 60/-

As yeast has been mentioned: I'll be using a "Scottish" yeast (Wyeast #1728) as this was originally an Ushers recipe.

I'm using Chevallier malt, but whatever pale malt you chose will do. And about 57 IBUs (calculated) of East Kent Goldings.

Just above it is http://www.durdenparkbeer.org.uk/Recipe ... liam Black if my selection is too tame.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:55 pm

Sadfield wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:16 pm
I've always taken SMaSH to be single malt and single hop variety rather than one hop addition. If you want the challenge of using only one addition, I estimate a 70g "Hop-Burst" addition with 10 minutes to go will give a balance of bittering, flavour and aroma, to around 40 IBUs. Or you could use a Steep/Whirlpool addition for 20 minutes at the end of the boil, of around 85g, to achieve a similar result.
Sounds like a great recipe base - look at hops such as Cascade, Nelson Sauvin, Simcoe, Mosaic... the list goes on...
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

Buckie Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Buckie Brewer » Fri May 11, 2018 7:43 am

I did a SMaSH with Munich and Chinook which turned out rather well, I posted my brewday here if you want the recipe.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri May 11, 2018 11:58 pm

my approach to smash brewdays is to check out recipies of beers i know that favour the hop in question and use its recipe as a guideline.. If i dont know the hop or a beer thats relevant i simply target the max ibu i would like and temper the main boil hops to that metric, for late, flame out and later and dry additions i ignore the ibu impact and generally share out the remaining contents from the pack ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(