Your favourite Graham Wheeler recipe...

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Brewedout
Piss Artist

Re: Your favourite Graham Wheeler recipe...

Post by Brewedout » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:20 am

ben034 wrote:
BarnsleyBrewer wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:53 am
Apparently from Dorchester County Library.
Also noticed it was printed in the USA.
Just picked up a copy for £4.44 from Abe Books with shipping. They have 1 more apparently. Looking forward to getting this.
That's a good price. It's got lots of interesting recipes, the trouble will be deciding on which to brew...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:10 pm

keith1664 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:29 am
I've brewed the Nussdorf St Thomas or variations of a few times now, I think I might even be guilty of the brew Demig mentioned.
Having brewed it with both European and British versions of Vienna and Munich I prefer the versions with European malts, I've used Ireks and Weyermann with good results, there's a much richer flavour to them. The trouble with this is the beer then seems underbittered so I now aim for 40 IBU. Weyermann CaraMunich II is good for the Crystal addition and I use Crossmyloof Kolsch Yeast, fermented at 15c.
Thanks for this info! Which Hallertau hops did you use? The Hallertau blanc10.2% / mittlefruh 4%/ hersbrucker 2.2%

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:12 pm

Mittelfruh
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

ben034
Steady Drinker

Post by ben034 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:21 pm

Out of the two Altbier recipes would you make the Nussdorf At Thomas or the Zum Uerige Alt? Both sound nice but I'm leaning towards the Zum Uerige for a bit of extra bitterness.

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:04 am

ben034 wrote:Out of the two Altbier recipes would you make the Nussdorf At Thomas or the Zum Uerige Alt? Both sound nice but I'm leaning towards the Zum Uerige for a bit of extra bitterness.
I’ve not made the Zum Uerige but did find the Nussdorf a bit over malty, in subsequent versions I’ve upped the hops more to my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

FULLERS
Tippler

Post by FULLERS » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:59 am

Dont you find that a lot of the recipes in Grahams book basically the same with just a few gms of say a particular malt basically only the difference, I do like most of the recipes but substitute the sugar for extra malt.

ben034
Steady Drinker

Post by ben034 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:02 pm

FULLERS wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:59 am
Dont you find that a lot of the recipes in Grahams book basically the same with just a few gms of say a particular malt basically only the difference, I do like most of the recipes but substitute the sugar for extra malt.
That's certainly true for the British beers book. Fundamentally, a lot of bitters or milds have very similar grain bills and the difference between them is usually the yeast used. I still find the British beer book useful as a guide and for inspiration but you do need to do a bit of research on yeast before diving in (if you're aiming to get close to the original - otherwise you can play around).

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:23 pm

keith1664 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:29 am
I've brewed the Nussdorf St Thomas or variations of a few times now, I think I might even be guilty of the brew Demig mentioned.
Having brewed it with both European and British versions of Vienna and Munich I prefer the versions with European malts, I've used Ireks and Weyermann with good results, there's a much richer flavour to them. The trouble with this is the beer then seems underbittered so I now aim for 40 IBU. Weyermann CaraMunich II is good for the Crystal addition and I use Crossmyloof Kolsch Yeast, fermented at 15c.
Thanks for the intro to this; I finally got round to brewing this about 3 months ago and enjoyed the complex flavours. It did taste a little unbalanced for my palette (intensely malty), never having tried an Altbier before, who am I to know??!! A friend who'd lived in the appropriate region in Germany for a couple of years loved it and found it very true to style.

As with a couple of other CML yeasts I have found the Kolsch has continued to very slowly ferment in my bottles ( not kegging yet and not likely to imminently) so it's over carbonated now.