Your favourite Graham Wheeler recipe...

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Your favourite Graham Wheeler recipe...

Post by Dennis King » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:58 pm

Brewedout wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:09 pm
Dennis King wrote:I loved making Feinfoel double dragon but I did make a mistake. The first time I brewed it I brewed a 23lt batch but accidentally wrote down the recipe for 25lt and as it turned out so good I brewed it several times.Others I have really like included Worthington white shield, Burton bridge bridge bitter and like others have said Sarah Hughes ruby mild.
I was considering the white shield too, a plus side is that I have most of the ingredients too Image. What yeast did you use?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
I brewed it years ago and I used the yeast from white shield bottles but these days I believe it is not the primary strain. As I'm planning to brew this weekend I might revisit this one using WPL002.

Medarius
Sober

Post by Medarius » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:33 pm

I was just looking for a brewing book to help me delve into British brews, after spending the last year working on my Hefeweis recipe, and stumbled across this thread.
Which of the GW books would all of you recommend as I am wanting to start with milds and the more malty brews?
This seemed like a good thread for my question, since it appears there are many Wheeler fans here.

Happy brewing all and thank you in advance

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:52 pm

Medarius wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:33 pm
I was just looking for a brewing book to help me delve into British brews, after spending the last year working on my Hefeweis recipe, and stumbled across this thread.
Which of the GW books would all of you recommend as I am wanting to start with milds and the more malty brews?
This seemed like a good thread for my question, since it appears there are many Wheeler fans here.

Camera's Brew Your Own British Real Ale by GW would be a good start
Richard M
Cardiff

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:22 am

richard080561 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:52 pm
Medarius wrote:

Second that, its excellent and has different volumes already worked for each recipe. No yeast suggestions but there is now much more choice than when published, both dry and wet.

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:53 am

Brewedout wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:06 pm
JJSH wrote:If you like milds, the Bateman's Dark is a cracker.
I do like mild too. How well does it keep?

In my case, not for very long; every time I walked past the keg it kept randomly gushing out into a pint glass. When this happened, I would drink it, only to see if I could detect any infection or some such that might cause this you understand, only for it to magically refill itself again and again. Unfortunately, all the ale soon leaked out in this way, so I don't know how well it keeps.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:01 am

IPA wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:38 am
demig wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:30 pm
So many to choose from but I had a beer made by another homebrewer recently from the European book. Nussdorf St Thomas, absolutely sublime beer. It was made by someone who is an excellent brewer anyway but it was so good!

From a brief conversation with Graham I know he thought this book was under appreciated and I’d have to agree based on that beer alone. I know he told others similar. It’s nice to know he lives on by his recipes.

The Sarah Hughes mild is a cracker as well from book three.
Nussdorf St Thomas and Zum Uerige Alt both cracking beers. If only Graham could have sold the book for the price it is now selling for. RIP Graham
You guys must have a different GW European beers book to me; mine doesn't have the Nussdorf or Zum Uerige in it!

Mine has a publication date of 1995.

Perhaps someone could be so kind as to put the recipe details up here? Both beers sound good! And I'm supposed to be brewing an "Alt" later this year for one of our HBC challenges.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:14 pm

Cobnut wrote:
IPA wrote:
demig wrote:
So many to choose from but I had a beer made by another homebrewer recently from the European book. Nussdorf St Thomas, absolutely sublime beer. It was made by someone who is an excellent brewer anyway but it was so good!

From a brief conversation with Graham I know he thought this book was under appreciated and I’d have to agree based on that beer alone. I know he told others similar. It’s nice to know he lives on by his recipes.

Nussdorf St Thomas and Zum Uerige Alt both cracking beers. If only Graham could have sold the book for the price it is now selling for. RIP Graham
You guys must have a different GW European beers book to me; mine doesn't have the Nussdorf or Zum Uerige in it!

Perhaps someone could be so kind as to put the recipe details up here? Both beers sound good! And I'm supposed to be brewing an "Alt" later this year for one of our HBC challenges.

Just happened to have the St Thomas on my phone so there you go. Think mine is the 97 reprint but would have to check didn’t think it was revised though.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:35 pm

A word of caution, the most recently published CAMRA book which is apparently by Andy Parker and Graham Wheeler is nowhere near as useful as the above two predecessors. Its focus is on more “modern” British beers. The font is small on coloured paper, which at least for me, makes it much more difficult to read. Some of the recipes are difficult to decipher. It is not entirely clear that all the recipes are for a 20 L batch.
It is : CAMRA's Essential Home Brewing: a pocket guide to creating world beers at home

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Kingfisher4 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:35 pm
A word of caution, the most recently published CAMRA book which is apparently by Andy Parker and Graham Wheeler is nowhere near as useful as the above two predecessors. Its focus is on more “modern” British beers. The font is small on coloured paper, which at least for me, makes it much more difficult to read. Some of the recipes are difficult to decipher. It is not entirely clear that all the recipes are for a 20 L batch.
It is : CAMRA's Essential Home Brewing: a pocket guide to creating world beers at home
+1 to that, Kingfisher4.

I bought it a while back and, to be honest, am very disappointed with it. The small (?A5) format is fiddly to use, the print size is small and some of the recipes seem entirely barmy.

Eight Arch 'Corbel' for example, use a total of 10 (yes, ten!) hop additions. Says to pitch at 20°C and 'allow to rise in temperature when gravity reaches 1.015'. Doesn't say what to allow the temperature to rise to. The accompanying picture is of a can (yes, a can!) of the beer.

And, unless I've missed it, nowhere does the book say how long the mash should be for these recipes. It states the boil time as 60 minutes, but not the mash time.

A sad legacy for Graham Wheeler. Feels like it's just an attempt to capitalise on his name.

Guy

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:05 pm

JJSH wrote:
Brewedout wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:06 pm
JJSH wrote:If you like milds, the Bateman's Dark is a cracker.
I do like mild too. How well does it keep?

In my case, not for very long; every time I walked past the keg it kept randomly gushing out into a pint glass. When this happened, I would drink it, only to see if I could detect any infection or some such that might cause this you understand, only for it to magically refill itself again and again. Unfortunately, all the ale soon leaked out in this way, so I don't know how well it keeps.
Image Brilliant

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Post by Top Cat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:13 pm

Kingfisher4 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:22 am
richard080561 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:52 pm
Medarius wrote:

Second that, its excellent and has different volumes already worked for each recipe. No yeast suggestions but there is now much more choice than when published, both dry and wet.
And I’ll third it for exactly the same reason, if you’re into British real ale, it’s a must.
Have had the book for just over a year now, and have brewed about a dozen recipes.
Again I would say the only thing missing is the yeast choice.

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:23 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:01 am
IPA wrote:
demig wrote:

mine is 1995 and has the Nussdorf but I can't see the Zum Uerige in it
Richard M
Cardiff

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:13 pm

richard080561 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:23 pm
In mine the Nussdorf is on page 91 and the Zum Uerige is on page 101.

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:11 am

joe1002 wrote:
richard080561 wrote:
Ah it is there it’s just in the index one Alt bier slips to the following page so it’s easy to overlook!

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:47 am

demig wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:11 am
joe1002 wrote:
richard080561 wrote:
Ah it is there it’s just in the index one Alt bier slips to the following page so it’s easy to overlook!
What a relief, starting to worry I have the wrong edition slowly working it's way across the Atlantic