Corn Sugar.

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
SHIELDS EXILE
Steady Drinker

Corn Sugar.

Post by SHIELDS EXILE » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Has anyone, used Karo maize syrup as corn sugar,many beer writersay that dextrose is corn sugar, but it does not give the same flavour as flaked maize? Karo dark corn syrup is from USA and is available in most supermarkets.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Corn Sugar.

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:59 pm

Interesting find, but I doubt you'll get a good return for your money. There may be equivalents at lesser cost. It also appears to have added preservative that might impact brewing and is made from genetically modified maize which might influence some consumers.

I believe the dextrose monohydrate sold as brewing sugar is made from maize. I also believe we can for brewing purposes assume that dextrose and glucose are the same. Corn syrup is probably a liquid byproduct from dextrose production from maize.

This is over the top for what you ask, but found it when searching for Hydrol that I'd seen in a closed brewery's logbook. It seems that Karo will be made from some similar byproduct, just as molasses is during sugar refinement.

Maize syrup will give significantly different flavours to flakes maize. Flaked maize is converted in the mash tun to different sugars to maize in a chemical process plant.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:59 pm

Hi, this might be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NCFbk7sj4w

SHIELDS EXILE
Steady Drinker

Post by SHIELDS EXILE » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:35 pm

That video clip made me want to try the stuff ,I made a 12 litre brew of a recipe for McEwans IPA, USING3/4 of the maize quantity, I will see how it turns out.

SHIELDS EXILE
Steady Drinker

Post by SHIELDS EXILE » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:57 am

It tasts good, and Iwill use the same syrup with my next brew of Double diamond 1054 OG which calls for the same stuff .Theextract you get HB shops , does not have the same taste as maize.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:50 am

This thread puts me in mind of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P5QqPBvEkY
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:24 am

Some Karo contains vanilla extract so read the ingredients carefully. And as a Eric pointed out, preservatives adversely affect yeast.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.