Recipe advice - limited ingredients

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Verno
Sober

Recipe advice - limited ingredients

Post by Verno » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:28 pm

Hello, I made a bit of a mess up and it seems I missed a bag of maris otter on my last bulk order which means I am now left with limited malts and it seems lots of home brew shops are not taking orders or are low on stock. I was planning to make a porter or stout style, below are the malts I have, if I put them all together will it be a disaster, can anyone advise:

1.5kg Maris Otter
1kg brown
1kg crystal
0.5kg carafa III
0.5kg chocolate
0.5kg Munich (light)

My feeling is there might be too much brown and crystal and the munich isn't really a dark beer malt. One option is to reduce those slightly and just make less beer?

Any help or input much appreciated.
Verno

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Recipe advice - limited ingredients

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:15 pm

How about just ordering some Maris Otter from The Malt Miller. No stock problems.

Guy

Wizz69
Steady Drinker

Post by Wizz69 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:03 am

No brew would be a disaster, but as ko g as the sugars are there, the you would end up with an interesting flavour and color.

Experiment away

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

---- Keep Calm and Brew On ----

Verno
Sober

Post by Verno » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:17 am

[quote=guypettigrew post_id=853757 time=1605561350 user_id=5521]
How about just ordering some [url=https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/ingredi ... ents-malts]Maris Otter from The Malt Miller[/url]. No stock problems.

Guy
[/quote]

Thanks guy, I used to order all my stuff there but earlier in the year they had limited stock and for some reason I cannot now get onto the website. I will take a look, although I am tempted to just experiment for a laugh.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:34 am

If you don't wish to order any more pale malt, you could try a 15L-ish brew using all the pale, brown, munch and c. 100g each of the chocolate and carafa. Should get you to around 4.5-4.8% ABV.

English hops to 30 IBU or so, although you could go bigger (60-70 IBU) if you're prepared to mature the beer for a few months.

And an English ale yeast.

It'll certainly be beer!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:55 am

Unrefined cane sugar up to about 30% of your grain bill. I'd go with Demerara and a tiny amount of molasses in a porter. Both should be available in your local supermarket. Don't use too much of the speciality malts. I wouldn't go beyond what's generally recommended for each. Let the sugar take it to another level :wink: