Hazy Jane Recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Hazy Jane Recipe

Post by Jocky » Wed May 12, 2021 5:58 pm

I use BeerSmith, but really I don’t look too closely at the IBU. I just take notes and adjust it the next time I brew.

My latest recipe used 200g of hops at 80c and BS calculates it at around 30 IBU. I think it’s in that range, maybe a touch higher.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu May 13, 2021 10:25 pm

You can still get the 7.2% version. It's sold as BrewDog - OG Hazy Jane.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Mon May 17, 2021 1:45 pm

Blending hops (and other ingredients) has long been the norm in commercial brewing, for instance in 1939 Boddies were using hops from 6 sources (including US and Styrians). It's essential if you're looking to produce a relatively consistent product from year to year given agricultural variations, and also protects you from supply problems. For instance Adnams launched an all-Mosaic beer with a big marketing fanfare, and then found that they couldn't get Mosaic for love nor money the following year, so they were stuffed given that they'd called the beer "Mosaic".

Most calculators only look at the isomerisation of alpha acids (which happens above 80C, some don't even consider the cooling period down to 80C). Almost all of them don't consider humulinones and polyphenols which can both contribute bitterness, so it's a bit of a lottery.

Humulinones are derived from the oxidation of alpha acids, so you get more of them in more heavily-processed products like pellets, and in hops that have been lying around for a while.
http://scottjanish.com/increasing-bitte ... y-hopping/