Use it up extras - error :(

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Use it up extras - error :(

Post by aamcle » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:20 pm

Evening All.

I ordered some grain to bolster the grain I already had and let me make a batch of stout(ish) beer. I was extending a Fed Special grain bill .

Fed Special :- already mixed in a bag

black 45g
torrified wheat 500
Pale 3150

Extras ordered to fill out the grain bill :- arrived mixed in a bag

pale 1150
chocolate 113
torrified barley 565
roast barley 509

I also have 500 g pale wheat.

I messed up ordering the barley there is a LOT, I was planning to mix all of it together which should give something like 6.6% ABV at 23L and bitter it up to 50ish IBU. I can't get the barley out so if I follow that plan will it still be palitable?

Any other sugestions?

Thanks All

Aamcle

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Use it up extras - error :(

Post by MashBag » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:13 am

I would normally steep my dark grains instead of mashing them, but that's not an option here.

Yes I think that would be palatable. What hop schedule are you planning - same as?

Just trying to find the original recipe to cross check ... think it's in grahem wheelers book. The fairies tidy things away in this house and it takes me ages to relocate them. 😂
Last edited by MashBag on Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Use it up extras - error :(

Post by aamcle » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:37 am

The Fed Special is from Grahams book.

My thought was to add Target 35g and EKG 10g at the start of the boil and Hall Hersbrucher 23g and Lublin 25g for the last 15mins this should give about 50 IBU.

I doubt the late additions will contribute much in terms of flavour they will probably be swamped.

Atb. Aamcle