Italian Job?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
McMullan

Italian Job?

Post by McMullan » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:00 pm

This sounded interesting, an Italian Pils? Never heard of it, but I've some healthy WLP800 to repitch soon or dump, a fresh sack of Weyermann pilsner malt and some Aurora hops that were destined for a Saison that never happened. Why not? Mash schedule looks interesting. Mash-in at about 20℃ and rise slowly to 66℃. Not sure what 'slowly' means here, but I'll just let the BM do its thing. Anyone done one of these?

Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: Italian Job?

Post by Hanglow » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:19 pm

I've drunk a fair bit of kegged tipo pils over the years, its very good imo. Compared to most german pils it has a bit more hop aroma, a bit more malt, a bit more ester from slightly warmer fermentation. But not to the point where its a modern ,"craft" take on german pils if you get me. i.e shite.

The bottles i had of it though have always been too old or out of shape .

Not brewed one myself though, although my last pils was relatively hop forward with lots of mittelfruh.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:27 pm

Cant say I'd do that mash regime though, I'd just mash in at the top of the protein rest to avoid doughballs and immediately raise it to beta for an hour or so, then do the the latter steps.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:36 pm

Mmm, I might just make a standard Pils then. Save the Aurora hops for a half batch next time I build up some healthy lager yeast. I'll brew tomorrow or Friday so need to make up my mind.

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:41 pm

John, I just tried to PM you about a Yeast that might interest you but you have them turned off... how do I contact you?
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:27 am

keith1664 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:41 pm
John, I just tried to PM you about a Yeast that might interest you but you have them turned off... how do I contact you?
Sorry, mate. Looks like my message inbox was full. I've deleted messages to create some space for new messages so it should work now. Intrigued :D

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:28 am

Nope, it still says you have PM's disabled.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:34 am

That should work now. Settings look they reverted to default? I'll log in and out.

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:34 pm

Did you get a PM, I thought it went but it's not showing?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:57 pm

#-o I’ll pass it to admin to resolve.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:00 am

McMullan wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:00 pm
This sounded interesting, an Italian Pils? Never heard of it
Oh, it's a thing, nothing to do with Peroni/Moretti, and Tipopils in particular is one of those reference beers that is a bit of a cult among the geeks. Spalt Select is their preferred dry hop, there's more details here :

https://beerandbrewing.com/brewers-pers ... -tipopils/
https://www.beervanablog.com/beervana/2 ... n-pilsners
https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-mu ... e-pilsners
Recipe for Firestone Walker's take, Pivo Pils, which uses Saphir :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/bo ... 97&slide=0

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:50 am

Cheers, I'll have a look at those links. I decided to move on to a German lager using WWLP833, so I'll revisit the idea of brewing an Italian Pils when the yeast need repitching.