DOH! Brewing in a hurry and f**cked.. or did I?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: DOH! Brewing in a hurry and f**cked.. or did I?

Post by MashBag » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:09 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:54 pm

What takes you so long?!!

Guy
I agree it could be quicker. But this is idle beer😁
I don't have a brew day. I use elapsed time instead of stuff, so it takes me longer overall, but much less "standing in front" time.
For this brew style the only interventions are:
Setup (20m)
Boil (60m)
Pitch(20m)
Bottling (60-80m)
....... Oh and drinking (hours and hours) 🍻🍻😁

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:14 pm

floydmeddler wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:17 pm
Guy, any chance you could give me a quick run down on your finings process?
What style of beer are you brewing? I only ask, 'cos I am seeing clear beer after 5 days (from pitch) with just seaweed.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:08 pm

Thanks Guy. I use a stick blender and manage to get it fully dissolved. I think my problem may have been with quantity. I was using half of that amount. Time to whizz up another batch and try my luck! Will buy those auxiliary finings when I next do a MM order. Thanks for the reply.
guypettigrew wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:01 pm
The important thing with the Magicol (I believe) is getting it fully dissolved. Not as easy as you might hope!

I use 1.8g of the Magicol in 300ml reverse osmosis water. Tap water is fine but, as I have RO around, I choose to use it.

To dissolve it I use the blender attachment on my Kenwood Chef. A stick blender would work, but I don't have one. It needs this kind of vicious mixing or it won't dissolve. I've tried it with an electric whisk--doesn't work. Blend it for 5 minutes or so, then tip it into a jug and rest it in the 'fridge for a while. You don't want it warming up. If it gets warm it denatures and becomes useless.

Then blend it again for 5 minutes. Then store it in the 'fridge in a bottle or whatever. I use 70ml/23L batch so making up this amount is enough for four brews.

It's best if used with auxiliary finings. 50ml/23L batch. I drop the cooled beer from the FV to the keg, add the auxiliary finings and swirl well. After about five minutes add the isinglass and swirl well. Job done. 24-48 hours later you should have clear beer, apart from the first 1/2 pint, which has yeast in it which has settled in the tap!

Guy

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi MB,

I'm usually brewing highly hopped pales. NEIPAs and West Coasts. Ideally, i'd like my west coasts to be clear but not that bothered. I uses dusty S05 too which doesn't help.

Planning a few trad English beers so defs want them to be clear in matching with the style. Maybe they'd be easier to clear; less hops and a yeast like WLP002 should keep things manageable.

MashBag wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:14 pm
floydmeddler wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:17 pm
Guy, any chance you could give me a quick run down on your finings process?
What style of beer are you brewing? I only ask, 'cos I am seeing clear beer after 5 days (from pitch) with just seaweed.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:13 pm

In other news...

The brew is nearing the end of ferment now. Sitting @ 1.014. Took a sample and no cloying effect whatsoever. Maybe it's early days? I think I got away with it. :-)