Brewing for Ukraine...

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
drjim
Piss Artist

Brewing for Ukraine...

Post by drjim » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:42 pm

So last week I had just finished making a batch of lager and a new bitter recipe, whilst sipping the traditional post brew brew I re-read the story of the brewery in Lviv that was using its bottles for Molotov's. I decided to email them and see if I could get the recipe for the "Putin Huilo" beer so I could make a tribute batch.

The head brewer emailed me back today, not sure how many others have been in touch, but there are links to recipes and label designs etc plus ways to send funds.
Hi Jim.
I’m Ihor, the head brewer of Pravda Brewery.
Here is a link where you can find the putin huilo beer recipe.
https://www.pravda.beer/victory-beer-se ... v-ukraine/
You can find our labels there as well.
You can use them for free if you wanna support us in our fight!
Thank you and all the beer community for your help!

--
Чертов Ігор
Головний пивовар
Пивоварня "Правда"
Холдинг емоцій "!FEST"
+38(096) 594-14-08
http://www.fest.lviv.ua
I need to order the ingredients to make a batch, the recipes need a bit of scale adjustment to fit in home-brew kettles of course.

I was hoping to get a brew supplier to sell it as a grain kit, anyone on the forum??

Let's all make some Ukrainian beer as a tribute!

Jim

drjim
Piss Artist

Re: Brewing for Ukraine...

Post by drjim » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:17 pm

I've knocked up a Brewfather version of Putin Huilo for a 30L boil to fit in my kettle. Generally get 24 or so at the end, and gravity numbers usually come out right.

https://share.brewfather.app/QRu9HbC5tkkcA9

Chris Brooks
Steady Drinker

Post by Chris Brooks » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:49 pm

The wife likes a wheat beer, so I suppose I had better try it....otherwise I might have a case of Mad Frau Disease.

Chris Brooks
Steady Drinker

Post by Chris Brooks » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:58 pm

I have just finished putting the maths into the "Frau" brew recipe when I nticed that the spices go in at the whirlpool stage. I have not got one of these nor can I stand there stirring the brew vigorously for twenty minutes.

Does anyone have a suggestion....Please.

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:23 am

I would substitute "whirlpool" for a hop stand (or spice stand) at the required temp.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:15 am

You can create a community recipe on The Malt Miller and share the link if you make it public.
That is a hell of a beer label, I’m trying to erase it from my mind!

Chris Brooks
Steady Drinker

Post by Chris Brooks » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:41 pm

Thanks JJSH, I had not even thought of that, I can set my mind at rest now. Spent ages thinking about it before I could get to sleep last night.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:46 pm

A good shout Jim.
I am going to have a go. Are we going to share recipes interpretations here?
Last edited by MashBag on Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Brooks
Steady Drinker

Post by Chris Brooks » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:29 pm

I've just ordered all I need for two of the brews, Frau and Putin, from Malt Millers.

I have also made a batch size calculator for these two recipes in excel format, and will do the others tonight.

As I cannot post these in the forum please pm me and I will send to you

Also there are some points relevent to the recipies that I have asked their head brewer to clarify for me. When I get his reply I will also combine into the recipe.

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:53 am

I admired the artwork on the labels, especially the label for the Infused Smoked Porter with Cherries. Quite evocative. Porters are pretty much my "house style", so would like to brew that one in particular, but it's recipe doesn't seem to be there.

I live in the country well away from any city, so my rainwater is very soft and clean. A wonderful "clean slate" for brewing water before any additions, and my darker beers seem all the better for that.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:18 pm

There's an organised effort to brew an "anti-imperial stout" called Resist, designed by Ukrainian brewers with beetroot :
https://drinkersforukraine.com/#SOLIDARITY-BREW

Chris Brooks
Steady Drinker

Post by Chris Brooks » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:34 am

Just looked in my inboxto find I have not had a reply to the Head Brewer. I hope all is well with him and it is just the olume of replies that's taking him so long to reply.

In the meantime I still do not know if the orange peel should be bitter or sweet orange peel. I have both, but that gives me a problem. Should I brew two batches (an alcholic haze descends) or a half and half mix of bitter and sweet peel.

Any thoughts anyone?

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:38 pm

It's normally bitter orange IME

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:15 pm

www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk have now got Saphir hops in stock for anyone wanting to make Putin Huylo. I think they are going to set up an all grain kit in the recipes section.

I have a ready mixed batch of malt for my shed lager which is 5kg pils, 1kg Munich and 1kg Vienna. It's not quite the pils/caramunich/bit of wheat in the recipe but it's here ready to go. I can add some wheat and the colour comes out about right, the flavour is more to do with the hops so until I am ready to order some more malt this will be near enough. Hops ordered, beer to brew ASAP!