Higsons Bitter recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
snaptin
Sober

Higsons Bitter recipe

Post by snaptin » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:19 am

Recently a few of my mates were talking about our times in Liverpool in the early seventies (yes I'm that old) and we all said how good the Higsons beers were then. A Google search didn't bring up anything so I thought that some of you guys may have a recipe for it?? Here's hoping!

Galena
Steady Drinker
Location: Peak District Derbyshire, nearest breweries: Taddington, Whim, Peak Ales, Thornbridge, Buxton

Re: Higsons Bitter recipe

Post by Galena » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:05 am

The 4th Ed. of The Real Ale Almanac lists Higson's under Castle Eden Brewery but I can find no mention of this elsewhere. Both Higson's and Castle Eden were aquired by Whitbread in the 60's so there may well have been some connection there.
Whitbread closed Higson's in 1990.
The brand has been through various guises since then read here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higsons_Brewery

The 4th Ed Almanac lists Higson's Mild and Higson's Bitter

Higsons Mild
OG 1032 ABV 3.1%
Ingredients: Pale malt (75%), Crystal malt (5%) torrefied wheat (10%), brewing sugar (6%), Caramel (4%), 85 units of colour, Galena (US) and Target hops for bitterness, Styrian Goldings for aroma. 22 units of bitterness.
Tasting notes:
Nose: Sweet roasted malt aroma
palate: Malt dominates the mouth followed by a short lightly hopped finish

Higsons Bitter
OG 1038 ABV 3.8%
Ingredients: pale malt (75%), crystal malt (5%), torrefied wheat (10%),, brewing sugar (10%), 23 units of colour, Galena and Target hops for bitterness, Styrian Goldings for aroma, 32 units of bitterness.
Tasting notes:
Nose: Tart floral hops aroma
Palate: Crisp, quenching hops dominate the palate; malt and floral hops lead to dry finish.

An early edition of Brew Your Own Real Ale at Home gives a recipe for the mild but nothing for the Bitter. The later 3rd Ed. lists neither.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:03 pm

A bit of a long shot but.......

Kark Critchley may be able to give you an update/guidance. He was head brewer for Liverpool Organic Brewery and remains in his post after they were financially rescued by Liverpool Brewing Company. They used to brew Higsons Best Bitter at Organic. Not sure if they continued after the buy up though.
Good luck, oh and he used to be a member on here a good few years ago. I even got some free hops from him. He's a good bloke 👍

Cheers Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:42 pm

Critch's original profile/account has been deactivated but there's a recent Critch, he was last "active" on here 22nd Jan 2020. The original account may have been lost due to inactivity or one of the forum upgrades?
It might be him, wouldn't hurt to send him a message

Cheers Tom

snaptin
Sober

Post by snaptin » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:17 am

Wow thanks guys!! This place is really great for things like this ie getting ideas on obscure beer recipes from the past. Thanks so much for your help and ideas - I'll be doing the recipes and see what I think. It'll be interesting to see if it matches what I remember soooo long ago. Cheers again!!

Galena
Steady Drinker
Location: Peak District Derbyshire, nearest breweries: Taddington, Whim, Peak Ales, Thornbridge, Buxton

Post by Galena » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:22 am

I think the yeast strain will be critical for correct flavour and as you last drank this when it was owned by Whitbread then perhaps Wyeast 1099 might be a good choice, maybe somebody more knowledgeable has different information though?

Les_Howarth
Steady Drinker

Post by Les_Howarth » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:55 pm

I have fond memories of drinking Higsons in my formative years in Liverpool. Sadly, it was not the same after it moved to Sheffield.

I have ingredient information from the Liverpool version from the first edition of Protz's Almanac:

Malt: 85.5% Pale malt, 3% Crystal malt, 3.5% Wheat malt, 8% Invert sugar and some Caramel (although it was very pale so I doubt much caramel was used).
Hops: Bramling Cross, British Colombian (?), Fuggles, Goldings, Styrian Goldings, WGV.

That is some mix of hops but I'd suggest that the Bramling Cross was a significant component. I've tried to brew it myself a few times and come close.

The Sheffield version from Protz 4th ed is broadly similar but with a reduced proportion of pale malt and a mix of 4 hops, including British Colombian Bramling Cross and an IBU of 32.

The last time I was in Liverpool (2013) I went to a restaurant that had bottled (Organic) Higsons on the menu but they had run out! :cry:

You'll know that you've got the recipe correct when the only thing you'll be able to talk about is footie after drinking it. :D

Cheers,

Les
Les Howarth