Green hop recipe?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Green hop recipe?

Post by Cobnut » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:54 pm

Having been growing my own hops for a few years, I have a hankering to try making a Green/wet hop beer. So seeking advice on recipe formulation.

Have those who’ve done this simply used a base recipe and piled in loads of freshly picked hops at the end (with a suitable bittering charge using known AA hops at the start? Or do you use a receive with a grist more suited to wet/green hops?

I’m after a nice sessionable beer (3.5-4.2%), so would welcome suggested recipes (the hops I’m growing are Challenger, Cascade and Prima Donna).

Thanks!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

PeeBee
Under the Table

Re: Green hop recipe?

Post by PeeBee » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:27 pm

Oddly enough (now that's a scary start) I came across a "green hop beer" story recently:

Green Hop Beer

Flippin' heck ... it's that Brian Yorston chappie again! [Eric, where are you ... ]
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:46 am

PeeBee wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:27 pm
Oddly enough (now that's a scary start) I came across a "green hop beer" story recently:

Green Hop Beer

Flippin' heck ... it's that Brian Yorston chappie again! [Eric, where are you ... ]
Up to the eyes with second derivatives of third order polynomials for alkalinity of soft water for comparison with Salifert KH kit findings if you want to know. Wasn't it me who originally posted that Green Hop link? Actually, I'm glad to see it again because I've lost it in the past.

I've since used Cascade for bittering, different to the circumstances described in that post of last year.

With recent astounding quantities of rainfall, including occasional hail, the support for my Bramling Cross first bowed, then split and finally broke. It hadn't formed any cones when it fell, but look imminent.

Last year I used commercial Brewer's Gold and Challenger for bittering with some dried early pickings mid boil and 450g of wet for 5 minutes ina 50 litre brew. There seemed very few hops compared to the weight added when cleaning the boiler afterwards. The beer wasn't impressive, at first a little vegetal which, typical of late hops, soon faded allowing the beer to improve.

Some of last year's hops remain unused and many were, unfortunately, not properly dried. It would be perfect if I could put all the harvest straight into brews and drink them over the next year, but it seems the ideal drinking window for green hopped beers is quite short.

I'll be using 75% Pale malt, 10% Flaked Maize, 5% Light Crystal and 10% invert. The weight of hops will depend on how wet they are at the time of picking, possibly greater than 90% water.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:56 pm

I made a golden ale using green Prima Donna. I just multiplied the hop amounts by three compared to using dried hops.
It was a very popular beer.
Richard M
Cardiff