Fool Proof Pilsner

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Fool Proof Pilsner

Post by Meatymc » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:27 am

Hi All

Having been badgered on and off for ages to do something other than Pale Ales and Porters, decided to do a Pilsner after Xmas to store (bottle) for Spring/Summer.

Plenty of recipes for the grain bill - the issue is though that I only have a very simple set-up and don't want to tie up my brewing fridge for the extra weeks necessary to ferment at the required temperature so will most likely be fermenting in the garage (which will at least be cold!) with no 'electrical' temperature control - just me and a thermometer [-o<

Assuming this is possible, I'm looking for some suggestions on a more tolerant yeast and ways to try and keep the temperature as steady as possible. Only thing that comes to mind is some sort of 'water bath' set-up that can be warmed or cooled at the start and end of each day - simply by adding hot/warm water or ice.

Any comments appreciated.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Fool Proof Pilsner

Post by Cobnut » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:20 pm

A couple of comments.

1) Lagers don't really take weeks to ferment. 2-3 weeks is typical at temperatures below 14/15C. The thing which they do need is a longish period of cold conditioning post fermentation, but you can do this in the bottle.
2) If you have the ability to brew under pressure (fermentasaurus or the like), you can ferment warmer and quickly. I've done this successfully at 15psi and starting at 18C, rising quickly to 24C (somewhere on JBK you should find a post of mine containing details of this).
3) You could try Lallemand Novalager yeast, but they do say it's not the best yeast for traditional lager styles; more suitable for more modern lager hybrid styles like IPL or Cold IPAs (hoppy lagers).
4) How about a Kolsch? Lager like grist, but with a yeast that ferments at Ale temperatures.

Well four comments :)
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:26 am

Cobnut wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:20 pm
1) Lagers don't really take weeks to ferment. 2-3 weeks is typical at temperatures below 14/15C. The thing which they do need is a longish period of cold conditioning post fermentation, but you can do this in the bottle.
2) If you have the ability to brew under pressure (fermentasaurus or the like), you can ferment warmer and quickly. I've done this successfully at 15psi and starting at 18C, rising quickly to 24C (somewhere on JBK you should find a post of mine containing details of this).
3) You could try Lallemand Novalager yeast, but they do say it's not the best yeast for traditional lager styles; more suitable for more modern lager hybrid styles like IPL or Cold IPAs (hoppy lagers).
4) How about a Kolsch? Lager like grist, but with a yeast that ferments at Ale temperatures.

Well four comments :)
Cheers Cobnut

Had it in my mind it was longer (than 3 weeks) but if not, I can live with an extra week longer than usual with the ferm fridge tied up.

Might even think about a Boxing Day brew when we've plenty other stuff in the cupboard to keep me happy!

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:26 am

34/70 (https://fermentis.com/en/product/saflager-w-34-70/) is a forgiving yeast that ferments a little warmer than liquid lager yeasts. I use it in the winter when my basement is around 13C.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:38 pm

Kolsch works well.

Or do it right now and leave it outside with some insulation to reduce the diurnal variation.

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Post by Top Cat » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:54 pm

Trefoyl wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:26 am
34/70 (https://fermentis.com/en/product/saflager-w-34-70/) is a forgiving yeast that ferments a little warmer than liquid lager yeasts. I use it in the winter when my basement is around 13C.
Yep, agree with this yeast, it’s a good yeast to get you on your way. Due to the time of the year you will be brewing, I don’t think you’ll have a problem with the long conditioning time you need for an authentic lager. I’ve brewed Kolsch a few times with yeast at ale temperatures, it’s a nice smooth tasting beer but not a Pilsner.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:02 am

10 days if you do it right.

Google Tasties method. and there is an Exbeeriment about it.

In brief.
Start with a lot of yeast at 10/12 Deg. initial 1.060 expected final 1.010
when the SG is about halt what you expect - 1.035
start to raise the temperature 1 or 2 degrees a day to 18
ferment out, cold crash bottle
Lager at -1C if you can for as long as is convenient.

ATB

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:06 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.

Last did a Pilsner in January 2016 with the whole process to bottling taking 28 days. Can't find where the recipe/process came from in my notes but obviously there'll be a number of ways to get a good result as has been alluded to below.

Research me thinks